Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone XR silent ring button no longer working.

I have an iPhone XR with the latest software update iOS 14.4. My silent ring button no longer works.

When I toggle this switch there is no message displayed on the iPhone saying silent mode is on or silent mode is off. The phone rings no matter the position of this toggle switch.

Is there a fix for this? Any work arounds? This problem just started happening today.

iPhone XR

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 6:29 PM

If the silent switch is not working on your iPhone, then you can silent or mute your iPhone from the Assistive Touch button. ... To use Assistive touch on your iPhone, first, you need to enable it from the settings. Step 1Go to the “Settings” app and then, open the “General” settings.

7 replies

Feb 9, 2021 6:36 PM in response to Coquina333

As you may have sensed it, the Silent Switch is a mechanical switch. The switch is either failing or has failed.

(1) Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

(2)  If the above does not work then - You may have to use the ➔ Do Not Disturb mode whenever you want to silent your iPhone.

Axel F.

Iphone XR silent ring button no longer working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.