Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

coreaudiod high cpu usage after Catalina upgrade

Ever since upgrading, I coreaudiod uses 10-15% cpu constantly. Fans spinning all the time.

Any way to fix this?

I created a new user and that user does not have the same issue when I log in with that account. I'm really trying to not have to change my user name and update all the programs to work like I have them now.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 2:58 PM

Hi,

I don't have any fan spin on most of the days. However, since Catalina (19A602) on MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2019. coreaudiod is running at 18-30%. When killing the process it comes back with the same load, this happens even when audio is not in use. Ironically, when play playing music through the Spotify app, coreaudiod load drops to ~10%.

'Ask Siri' is not enabled.

Didn't see this with Mojave.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2019 2:58 PM in response to Jesse-

Hi,

I don't have any fan spin on most of the days. However, since Catalina (19A602) on MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2019. coreaudiod is running at 18-30%. When killing the process it comes back with the same load, this happens even when audio is not in use. Ironically, when play playing music through the Spotify app, coreaudiod load drops to ~10%.

'Ask Siri' is not enabled.

Didn't see this with Mojave.

Nov 21, 2019 7:35 AM in response to Jesse-

I haven't had fan spinup issues until upgrading to Catalina. I am noticing that core audio is using a consistent 9-11% cpu and causing the fans to spin up on my 2018 15" MacBook Pro. I however also noticed that it was related to Vmware 11.1.1 running. If I stop Vmware the core audio process goes back to normal. Anyone else notice this with Catalina?

Jan 22, 2020 1:43 PM in response to Jesse-

Noticed that Microsoft Remote Desktop was causing the coreaudiod process to go up to around 18% for RDP sessions which had 'Play Sound - On this computer' enabled. Since I disabled it, coreaudiod is 0% CPU when not using any audio through other apps.

Seems to come down to finding out which app is the cause within the suite of apps you are using.

coreaudiod high cpu usage after Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.