Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MemTest86

What can I use to test my memory? I have run the diagnostic that comes with computer and remember. I tried running memtest86, but could not get it to work. Any suggestions?

iMac late 2013 running Mojave

Cynthia

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 9:18 PM

Create a bootable Memtest86 USB drive using Etcher. Option Boot the USB drive and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". The current version of Memtest86 (v.8.2) only loops the tests four times unlike the older versions which could be looped much longer. The older v7.5 version is available here. Once Memtest86 boots, it is safe to remove the USB drive. FYI, It is not unusual for memory to fail the Row Hammer Test and doesn't necessarily mean the memory is bad. It just means the memory is vulnerable and can be "attacked" to gain root access.

If you cannot get Memtest86 to boot, then you should try another USB stick or even a USB drive. Not all USB sticks will boot properly on a Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 9:18 PM in response to CYNT2011

Create a bootable Memtest86 USB drive using Etcher. Option Boot the USB drive and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". The current version of Memtest86 (v.8.2) only loops the tests four times unlike the older versions which could be looped much longer. The older v7.5 version is available here. Once Memtest86 boots, it is safe to remove the USB drive. FYI, It is not unusual for memory to fail the Row Hammer Test and doesn't necessarily mean the memory is bad. It just means the memory is vulnerable and can be "attacked" to gain root access.

If you cannot get Memtest86 to boot, then you should try another USB stick or even a USB drive. Not all USB sticks will boot properly on a Mac.

Oct 21, 2019 6:22 PM in response to CYNT2011

I wasn't having any problems but I took it to an Apple store and they told me the memory failed during the diagnostics and I wanted to check myself. I'm no technician, but I didn't want to give them $200 for nothing. Besides, third party memory was added to the computer before I bought it, which could be the reason it is coming up with a fail. Thank you for your help

MemTest86

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.