Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ram test fails, but when I move ram to other computer it passes

I'm testing ram on a 2010s macbook pro using memtest on the ultimate boot cd. When I run the test, no matter if I have both sticks of ram, or one of the two, it fails at a specific range in the memory. When I

move the ram to a different macbook pro from the same year and run memtest, it passes. Is this a sign of a bad motherboard?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 10:16 AM

You should try using Memtest86 as it may be more up to date than the memory tests on the UB CD.

Are you actually experiencing system issues or are you just running the memory test for other reasons? Memory tests can report false positives. Have you tried running the Apple Diagnostics as well?

A lot of times the memory slot nearest the bottom case goes bad due to bad solder joints. The slot nearest the keyboard seems less likely to fail (although I just encountered a laptop last week with this slot bad -- first one that I can remember). It is very unusual to see both memory slots fail at the same time or even both memory modules.

If a memory slot is bad, then the Logic Board needs to be replaced.

Keep in mind a power issue with the laptop could make the memory fail.

Is this original Apple memory? Or is it memory that is guaranteed compatible with a Mac? Even memory from Crucial which is not guaranteed to be compatible with a Mac can have compatibility issues. Macs are extremely picky about the memory they use.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2020 10:16 AM in response to buddycomputers

You should try using Memtest86 as it may be more up to date than the memory tests on the UB CD.

Are you actually experiencing system issues or are you just running the memory test for other reasons? Memory tests can report false positives. Have you tried running the Apple Diagnostics as well?

A lot of times the memory slot nearest the bottom case goes bad due to bad solder joints. The slot nearest the keyboard seems less likely to fail (although I just encountered a laptop last week with this slot bad -- first one that I can remember). It is very unusual to see both memory slots fail at the same time or even both memory modules.

If a memory slot is bad, then the Logic Board needs to be replaced.

Keep in mind a power issue with the laptop could make the memory fail.

Is this original Apple memory? Or is it memory that is guaranteed compatible with a Mac? Even memory from Crucial which is not guaranteed to be compatible with a Mac can have compatibility issues. Macs are extremely picky about the memory they use.

Ram test fails, but when I move ram to other computer it passes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.