Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a memory error tank the screen in MemTestx86?

MacBook Pro reports memory errors on installing the OS. Memtestx86 seemingly never gets to report an error, but instead after about an hour of testing the screen goes dark and displays this electrical noise on the left side.

You can see it the "noise" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gr9zF3y_zo&feature=youtu.be

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 8:19 AM

There's lots of misinformation in Galt's post.

The first statement is just absurd. MemTest has been testing memory reliably for decades and it's proven its worth probably on millions of occasions.

Then the second statement, "if you wish, you can.." contradicts the first statement.

The third statement, "MacBook Pro reports..." also contradicts the first statement but there's not really any truth to it. If there happens to be a memory error during the installation, something may go awry and that may lead one to suspect a memory error, but it's not as if it's doing the same function as Memtestx86.

The last statement is also false given that the third statement is false. (I suspected a memory error, but the current version of memtestx86 led me to think something else was the cause.)

The error I'm reporting here appears to be due to a bug in the old version of Memtestx86 I had initially been using. It appears that initial kernel memory error is due to a faulty SATA cable and had nothing to do with the memory further confirming the falseness of the third statement.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 8:19 AM in response to John Galt

There's lots of misinformation in Galt's post.

The first statement is just absurd. MemTest has been testing memory reliably for decades and it's proven its worth probably on millions of occasions.

Then the second statement, "if you wish, you can.." contradicts the first statement.

The third statement, "MacBook Pro reports..." also contradicts the first statement but there's not really any truth to it. If there happens to be a memory error during the installation, something may go awry and that may lead one to suspect a memory error, but it's not as if it's doing the same function as Memtestx86.

The last statement is also false given that the third statement is false. (I suspected a memory error, but the current version of memtestx86 led me to think something else was the cause.)

The error I'm reporting here appears to be due to a bug in the old version of Memtestx86 I had initially been using. It appears that initial kernel memory error is due to a faulty SATA cable and had nothing to do with the memory further confirming the falseness of the third statement.

Can a memory error tank the screen in MemTestx86?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.