Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding Non Apple Wireless Router to an Apple Network, Can I?

I have the need to extend the range of my wireless network as my Airport Extreme is in the basement of my house. The house is all steel 2 x 4 and 2 x 6 construction, so the signal is very challenged to the upper level.

I can run ethernet to the second floor without and issues.

So the question is can I add a NON-Apple wireless router to extend the range?

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 1:55 AM

Can you? Yes, if the AirPort will be connected permanently using an Ethernet connection back to the "main" router.

How to do this? That might be another discussion. Post back if you are not sure how to do this. We'll need to know whether you will be using a Mac, a PC, or an iPhone / iPad to set up the AirPort Extreme.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 1:55 AM in response to Wisco608

Can you? Yes, if the AirPort will be connected permanently using an Ethernet connection back to the "main" router.

How to do this? That might be another discussion. Post back if you are not sure how to do this. We'll need to know whether you will be using a Mac, a PC, or an iPhone / iPad to set up the AirPort Extreme.

Oct 22, 2019 10:08 AM in response to Wisco608

My suggestion would be to add another AirPort Extreme, which will make the setup very easy and fast, and both AirPort Extremes will be displayed when you open AirPort Utility once things are set up. Online sellers like Amazon and Ebay are still offering Apple AirPorts for sale.

If you are thinking of another brand of router to add to the AirPort Extreme, we do not have a specific brand or model recommendation for you, since we handle questions about Apple routers on this forum.

Make sure that the router that you are considering can be configured to operate in Bridge Mode and act as a Wireless Access Point, also known as WAP. The WAP would be configured to provide a wireless network that uses the exact same wireless network name, same wireless security and same password as your AirPort Extreme.

The Ethernet cable will connect from one of the three LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the AirPort Extreme to the WAN port on the router that will be used to extend the network.

Adding Non Apple Wireless Router to an Apple Network, Can I?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.