Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you set up a non-Apple WiFi range extender to work in bridge mode with an Airport Extreme?

Maybe I used the wrong search terms, but for the life of me, I could not find any discussion here about adding an ethernet-connected, non-Apple WiFi extender to an Airport Extreme. I understand this cannot be done wirelessly due to Apple's proprietary design, but I am using an ethernet cable and trying to connect a non-Apple range extender in bridge mode.

The Airport Extreme is connected to a modem, and is already being extended by an AirPort Express in bridge mode without any issues. The device I am trying to connect in the same way is a Joowin Outdoor High Power Wireless AP / Wifi Range Extender (model JW-EW74).

After completing the bridge mode setup on the Joowin device, I connected it by ethernet cable to my Airport Extreme, but now when I connect to the internet, the signal drops out intermittently, and the Joowin extender never appears in AirPort Utility (or does that only show Apple devices?)

I can set the Joowin range extender to work in AP mode, but then we can't roam seamlessly around the house, which is the main reason I bought this extender.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 12:25 PM

Joowin extender never appears in AirPort Utility (or does that only show Apple devices?)

Apple is unique.. one off, nothing else invited to the walled garden.. you should know that!!

I can set the Joowin range extender to work in AP mode, but then we can't roam seamlessly around the house, which is the main reason I bought this extender.

You are confusing things.

Wireless extend on older devices like apple airports is not like mesh and does not include IEEE 802.11k v or r which are required for roaming.

Mostly roaming requires several identical brand AP of most recent design (with controller in some cases) or proper mesh and still does not solve handoff and roaming on some devices as it is still a client issue above all else.

AP mode is correct and only one that will work.

I have not heard of the Joowin product.. sounds very Chinese??

You will do a lot better buying a full mesh pack.. e.g. cheapie like Deco M5 or better grade Netgear Orbi. Scrap the Extreme unless you need it as a router.. but both Deco and Orbi will work in that role. And either can use ethernet or wireless backhaul. The manufacturers put a lot of effort into fine tuning roaming which still is not 100% and is unlikely to make it seamless until a couple of further generations of products. Client and Server side.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2021 12:25 PM in response to pablopaul

Joowin extender never appears in AirPort Utility (or does that only show Apple devices?)

Apple is unique.. one off, nothing else invited to the walled garden.. you should know that!!

You are confusing things.

Wireless extend on older devices like apple airports is not like mesh and does not include IEEE 802.11k v or r which are required for roaming.

Mostly roaming requires several identical brand AP of most recent design (with controller in some cases) or proper mesh and still does not solve handoff and roaming on some devices as it is still a client issue above all else.

AP mode is correct and only one that will work.

I have not heard of the Joowin product.. sounds very Chinese??

You will do a lot better buying a full mesh pack.. e.g. cheapie like Deco M5 or better grade Netgear Orbi. Scrap the Extreme unless you need it as a router.. but both Deco and Orbi will work in that role. And either can use ethernet or wireless backhaul. The manufacturers put a lot of effort into fine tuning roaming which still is not 100% and is unlikely to make it seamless until a couple of further generations of products. Client and Server side.

Can you set up a non-Apple WiFi range extender to work in bridge mode with an Airport Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.