Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem changing the region in a DVD burner with Catalina 10.15 MacBook Air

I have had a problem changing the region number on a new DVD drive burner. Despite the padlock being open, trying this with two different burners, one generic and one Apple, on two different machines, with three copies of Catalina 10.15. Some five hours of fiddling later there appears to be a bug in the new operating system.

The solution to programming the eprom on the DVD unit from America (1) to Europe (2) was to fire up my old Windows XP machine and do it there. It took three minutes only. Any machine not using Catalina should do the trick. A work around is to use VLC software but it means more fiddling to watch a DVD rather than it happening automatically. Posted 22 October 2019. Presumably this will be patched in time.

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 10:31 AM

You're allowed to change the region 5 times according to this Apple document: Change your DVD drive region in DVD Player on Mac.

It also has directions on how to change.

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 22, 2019 8:42 AM in response to Hawker2

Thank you for your kind reply. Both the generic and Apple DVD drives were brand new. As well as the computer. They ship with the region as number 1 ie. USA. In the UK they need to be changed to region 2. This would not occur despite the padlock being unlocked and the error message ‘not permitted’ appeared. The drive was taken back to the shop and they were not able to do it. They unboxed a brand new Apple DVD and were unable to change it as well. The same error message appeared. It states that one can change the region five times. We could not manage once. Then several hours were spent on the Apple help line, landing up with a very senior technician who also could not do it despite completely reloading Catalina. My other Mac could not do it either despite having changed two different DVD drives over the last year before Catalina was installed. It clearly seemed to be a Catalina problem. The region is held in an erasable reprogrammable Prom chip on the DVD drive and an old Windows XT computer sent the command effortlessly to it and changed it. This was my solution. It now works fine on the Macbook Air in the UK. I thought that this information might help others struggling trying to add an external DVD drive to their new computer or with Catalina OS.

problem changing the region in a DVD burner with Catalina 10.15 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.