Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I know what region to set a DVD drive to?

I just plugged a DVD player to my Mac Pro, and put a DVD in. The DVD starts playing in Viewer, then a message pops up asking me to select a region because the region set to the DVD doesn't match the region set to the drive. It says I can only select a region five more times. I think this player is one I bought from China over eBay some years back. How do I decide which region to set the drive to? I'm not sure which region to set this drive to.

I found this documentation by Apple on this topic. The message box doesn't allow me to set the region to 0, which is a setting that allows the drive to work with all regions, according to the chart in the documentation. Change your DVD drive region in DVD Player on Mac - Apple Support

The message says that the drive is currently set for region 1, which is North America. The DVD allows for a selection to show in different languages. I actually bought it while here in the U.S. from an organization in the U.S. It has worked on other DVD drives on a PC.

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 6:09 AM

See this article about region codes.

You should select the region in which you reside AND for which your DVDs are encoded. If you are in the USA and your DVDs are coded for USA then select region 1.

If you have a DVD coded for a different region (check to see if that is the case with the DVD in question), do not keep changing the DVD player's region; each DVD player can only have its region changed 5 times. The 5th change is permanent.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2022 6:09 AM in response to madirmur59

See this article about region codes.

You should select the region in which you reside AND for which your DVDs are encoded. If you are in the USA and your DVDs are coded for USA then select region 1.

If you have a DVD coded for a different region (check to see if that is the case with the DVD in question), do not keep changing the DVD player's region; each DVD player can only have its region changed 5 times. The 5th change is permanent.

How do I know what region to set a DVD drive to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.