Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrading back to ios 12 from ios 13 update (with a backup)

Today I updated to ios 13 (I have an iPhone 6s)

I backed up first (due to previous poor experiences with updates)

What a disaster. Wasn't happy as it forced me to sign up to iCloud (I don't want it, and previously with ios12 it didn't force me to).

It tried to restore from backup, but the phone does not communicate with iTunes anymore.

I tried putting the phone in restore mode, but it wouldn't restore factory settings with ios12, only ios13

I tried DFU mode (successfully) but now, it's forced me to restore ios13 without my data.

Now I cannot restart my phone and potentially lost all data. As the backup is only in ios12

HELP!

iPhone 6s

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 6:23 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Oct 22, 2019 6:28 AM in response to mctomac

Apple does not support downgrading iOS/iPadOS

What do you mean forced you to "sign up to iCloud"? Anybody with an Apple ID has access to iCloud. If you do not want it active on your phone then sign out on that device or disable the features that use it.

Sign in with your Apple ID - https://support.apple.com/HT204053 - Mac and iOS

Set up iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - https://support.apple.com/HT208681

Oct 22, 2019 8:15 AM in response to mctomac

What you are doing with two Apple IDs is not how Apple intends a person to use its features so you can expect things to get confusing and maybe not work the way you want them to work.

Frequently asked questions about Apple ID - http://support.apple.com/kb/HE37

"How many Apple IDs do I need?

Just one. Use the same Apple ID everywhere you sign in to ensure that all your Apple services and devices work together seamlessly and you can access your personal content from all your devices."

Apple uses an APple ID to identify each individual. If you have two Apple IDs then Apple thinks you are two different people and that's where personal security features start coming into action, as well as restrictions on what may or may not be shared.

Oct 22, 2019 7:38 AM in response to Limnos

Yup. It forced me to sign up to iCloud.

I have two apple id's (one for uk apps, and one for italian apps)

One of the apps that wasn't working was an app that I downloaded from italian apple id. So I had to exit uk apple id and re-enter apple id details for italian apple id in order to update the app.

At this point it would not let me progress further without accepting iCloud terms and conditions. It would not let me sign in otherwise.

So, what happened? I was forced to sync with iCloud and now to un-sync it, it's telling me it's going to erase what is on the iphone (instead of erasing what was on iCloud)...

Downgrading back to ios 12 from ios 13 update (with a backup)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.