Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have an old iPod Touch. Use it for playlists and it always worked fine. But suddenly it keeps repeating a playlist after last song. Version 5.1.1. I can

I have an old iPod Touch, version 5.1.1 that I use for aerobics playlists and it always worked fine. But suddenly it keeps repeating a playlist after the last song. I tried to find the Repeat setting to turn it off, but it is nowhere to be found, only shuffle. I synched it to iTunes on my computer (Mac), which does have Repeat set to Off, and thought it would fix the iPod, but it didn't. I need to get this fixed--it totally destroys the mood of my cooldown when the first up-tempo song immediately follows. Can anyone give me a fix for this?

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 1:45 PM

Oh, hang on!

When you get to the screen shown in your last picture - the one with the artwork on it, tap the picture of the album cover to reveal an overlay with additional controls:

None of the other screens is known as the Now Playing screen. Only the one showing the large-size album cover (artwork) is the Now Playing screen.

Once you briefly tap the artwork, the overlay will reveal (if I recall correctly) icons for:

• Shuffle
  • Repeat
  • scrubber bar (time into the song)
  • (maybe something else - I'm not sure)

It's just a quick tap - do not tap-and-hold. Also, don't forget that the Repeat on/off will cycle between:

• off
    • repeat (all)
    • repeat 1
    • off

If your iPod currently repeats the playlist, that means it's in Repeat (all) mode, so one tap on the Repeat button will put it into Repeat 1 mode, which will repeat the same song over and over again. So tap the repeat button twice. You can confirm which mode it's in because Repeat 1 will have a small 1 in the arrows.

The Repeat icon looks similar to this:

(Please don't tell me that your icon isn't as large as that one. I'll think you're failing to be funny.)

... and Repeat 1 icon looks similar to this:

Note, similar, not exactly like that. The 1 may be in the top corner. Wherever, the 1 is there, somewhere.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2019 1:45 PM in response to wendyfromharrisburg

Oh, hang on!

When you get to the screen shown in your last picture - the one with the artwork on it, tap the picture of the album cover to reveal an overlay with additional controls:

None of the other screens is known as the Now Playing screen. Only the one showing the large-size album cover (artwork) is the Now Playing screen.

Once you briefly tap the artwork, the overlay will reveal (if I recall correctly) icons for:

• Shuffle
  • Repeat
  • scrubber bar (time into the song)
  • (maybe something else - I'm not sure)

It's just a quick tap - do not tap-and-hold. Also, don't forget that the Repeat on/off will cycle between:

• off
    • repeat (all)
    • repeat 1
    • off

If your iPod currently repeats the playlist, that means it's in Repeat (all) mode, so one tap on the Repeat button will put it into Repeat 1 mode, which will repeat the same song over and over again. So tap the repeat button twice. You can confirm which mode it's in because Repeat 1 will have a small 1 in the arrows.

The Repeat icon looks similar to this:

(Please don't tell me that your icon isn't as large as that one. I'll think you're failing to be funny.)

... and Repeat 1 icon looks similar to this:

Note, similar, not exactly like that. The 1 may be in the top corner. Wherever, the 1 is there, somewhere.

Oct 25, 2019 12:26 PM in response to wendyfromharrisburg

So if you drag the Now Playing screen up, are you saying you have a different screen to the one shown below (I don't expect you to be playing the same song!)

To be honest, I can't remember what the Now Playing screen looks like on older iPods (I can't find my 2nd gen Touch) and it may be that your screen is different, but the fact remains that it is almost certain that you have the Repeat function turned on, so all you need to do is find the control and turn it off.

You don't need a patch (there aren't any), you just need to find the Repeat button. Perhaps it's just arrows, not text. The Repeat symbol looks like this one:

and if there is a 1 in the arrows, then the iPod is in Repeat 1 mode, when it will simply play the same song over and over again. Tap the icon again to turn it off.

Oct 27, 2019 12:34 PM in response to the fiend

The Now Playing little black arrow at the top right when tapped (see screen shot sent Oct. 25)goes to the album cover screen while playing. It does not swipe (screen shots above). On the album cover Now Playing screen, at the top right, is the 3 horizontal lines icon that takes you to the listing of songs as it is Now Playing, also incapable of swiping to anything. I do not have any screen like you showed, nor can I find any little dual arrow repeat icon. At this point, I will just give in and use my phone and a speaker to play my aerobic playlists and accept the fact that this iPod just won't work the way I need it to anymore. It's taking way too much time to try to get some kind of fix (and it seems like there just isn't a fix anymore). I really appreciate your trying to help--thank you.

Oct 24, 2019 10:19 AM in response to wendyfromharrisburg

Drag the Now Playing screen upwards so that you can see the additional controls, which includes the Repeat button.

Don't forget that each tap of the Repeat button will cycle it through the following:

Off - Repeat is off

Repeat - when the current list finishes playing, the same list will play again

Repeat 1 - when the current song finishes, the same song will play again, until you stop the player, select another song or tap Repeat again to turn off Repeat 1. In this mode, there is a small 1 in the repeat arrows.

Off

Oct 25, 2019 11:59 AM in response to the fiend

Unfortunately, I had tried all this and nothing worked. Only a shuffle button is there and the screen won't swipe either up or down. I tried it with Now Playing on both the album and the song list playing. There's nothing under Settings about the Repeat function. It used to work perfectly until a couple of weeks ago when my other devices upgraded to iOS 13. This iPod is so old, it shouldn't even have any connection with the latest OSs anyway. Something screwed it up. There's got to be some fix (hopefully, not having to wipe it out and re-copy everything from scratch--that makes me nervous). Is there any kind of patch for version 5.1.1 out there somewhere that would fix this?

Oct 25, 2019 6:32 PM in response to the fiend

If you had read my post before this, I said I DID try swiping on the Now Playing screen, both on the screen with the album cover at the upper right and on the Now Playing showing the song list. I just added the picture to show the only control was shuffle. Sorry for the attitude but I do know what the Now playing screen is. It absolutely will not swipe from any screens. I’m just frustrated.

Oct 26, 2019 2:54 AM in response to wendyfromharrisburg

wendyfromharrisburg wrote:

... and on the Now Playing showing the song list.

The Now Playing screen does not show a song list.

The screen shown in your photograph is not the Now Playing screen. In addition, just so you know, the Shuffle button shown on that screen is not a full control for Shuffle. All that button does is start a shuffle. You cannot turn shuffle off using that button.

So - from the screen you have shown in your photograph, tap the Now Playing button in the top right corner of that screen.

Sorry for the attitude but I do know what the Now playing screen is. It absolutely will not swipe from any screens. I’m just frustrated.

(Now that we've established that you don't have a swiping model, tap buttons instead.)

Notice that the black Now-Playing-button is pointing to something, suggesting that if you tap it, it will lead to something else. That something else will be the Now Playing screen and then you will find out what it looks like. Post a photograph of that screen.

Oct 28, 2019 4:22 PM in response to the fiend

Unfreakin' believable—that's it! Forget Taylor Swift's song—YOU are the Man! (Except if you're a fiend of the female persuasion—hard to tell from the screen name.) I can't believe you finally found it. Thank you so much for your tenacity in finding the answer. I'm still on a blissful high from being able to bask in the peaceful mood of my last song on my playlist. A million thank-you's.

Have an old iPod Touch. Use it for playlists and it always worked fine. But suddenly it keeps repeating a playlist after last song. Version 5.1.1. I can

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.