Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch Gen 6. A song, any song continues to repeat and never advance to the next song. Shuffle has also quit working.

How to fix the iPod Touch Gen 6 128 GB. Songs continue to repeat. Over and over and over. Shuffle also does not work. Help, please.

Jim M

iPod, iOS 12

Posted on May 17, 2022 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2022 9:24 AM

If you have a 6th generation iPod Touch, you will find the Repeat button mentioned by Dennison199 at the bottom of the Now Playing screen, not the top as shown in his (or her) screenshot. You need to drag the Now Playing screen up in order to see the additional controls.

Once I drag the Now Playing screen up on my 6th gen iPod, it looks as follows:

In my screenshot, both Shuffle and Repeat 1 are on (which is why the text is white on a red background and there is a small 1 in the repeat arrows). However, note that each time you tap the Repeat button it cycles through the following:

• Off - repeat is off and the Repeat button is red text on a light grey background
  • Repeat on - the text is white on a red background. When the list of songs finishes, the same list is played again (repeated)
  • Repeat 1 on - again, the text is white on a red background but the arrows have a small 1 in them (see my screenshot). When the song finishes, the same song plays again. (This is the situation you have)
  • Off - repeat is off

In the following screenshot, Shuffle is on while the Repeat function is off:

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2022 9:24 AM in response to JR5280

If you have a 6th generation iPod Touch, you will find the Repeat button mentioned by Dennison199 at the bottom of the Now Playing screen, not the top as shown in his (or her) screenshot. You need to drag the Now Playing screen up in order to see the additional controls.

Once I drag the Now Playing screen up on my 6th gen iPod, it looks as follows:

In my screenshot, both Shuffle and Repeat 1 are on (which is why the text is white on a red background and there is a small 1 in the repeat arrows). However, note that each time you tap the Repeat button it cycles through the following:

• Off - repeat is off and the Repeat button is red text on a light grey background
  • Repeat on - the text is white on a red background. When the list of songs finishes, the same list is played again (repeated)
  • Repeat 1 on - again, the text is white on a red background but the arrows have a small 1 in them (see my screenshot). When the song finishes, the same song plays again. (This is the situation you have)
  • Off - repeat is off

In the following screenshot, Shuffle is on while the Repeat function is off:

May 17, 2022 8:34 PM in response to JR5280

Hello and welcome to the Apple Support communities forum!

*Make sure that this button that I have circled is disabled*

*For music not to repeat itself, it should look like this.*

The other thing I would try to do if the issue continues is to reinstall the music app from the App Store or try to restart your iPod. If none of that works I would contact Apple Support (apple.com/support)

I have included a few articles below that might help you:

Learn how to force restart your iPod - Apple Support

Remove apps from iPod touch - Apple Support (CA)

Hope this helps!

May 18, 2022 9:48 AM in response to the fiend

I want to thank the fiend from the bottom of my soul. I have played my iPod practically every day for the past 5 years. It is my fault for not knowing this solution. Shame on me. Thanks for providing the complete operation for repeat/shuffle. Nothing works forever, especially electronics, so when Apple killed iPods I finally found a Best Buy and ordered a new Gen 7. Just in case. I guess I could have fired up the Classic.

Thanks to the other Community members who also provided solutions.

iPod Touch Gen 6. A song, any song continues to repeat and never advance to the next song. Shuffle has also quit working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.