Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't Time Machine automatically delete the oldest backups to allow new ones?

I have used Time Machine for years and simply assumed it would delete the oldest backups when the disc filled up. But I keep getting an error and am either told to get a new drive or to manually delete old files. I can do the latter, but am annoyed as one of the real value adds of this is that it is seamless--or was.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 9:19 AM

What type and size of device are you backing up to?

This recommended post in this discussion contains some interesting info on how the space is utilized on a Time Machine backup and makes recommendations on the size of the backup volume. It may be helpful depending on the size of the volume you are backing up to.

time machine does not delete old backups … - Apple Community

I'm experiencing a similar issue with my NAS volume that I use for one of my Time Machine backups. It doesn't seem to delete old backups after running out of space, et my other backup volumes (8TB external USB 3 HDD) manage this task without any issues. That's why it would be helpful to know what type of volume you are backing up to. I'm still searching for a NAS solution.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 9:19 AM in response to Brad Raley

What type and size of device are you backing up to?

This recommended post in this discussion contains some interesting info on how the space is utilized on a Time Machine backup and makes recommendations on the size of the backup volume. It may be helpful depending on the size of the volume you are backing up to.

time machine does not delete old backups … - Apple Community

I'm experiencing a similar issue with my NAS volume that I use for one of my Time Machine backups. It doesn't seem to delete old backups after running out of space, et my other backup volumes (8TB external USB 3 HDD) manage this task without any issues. That's why it would be helpful to know what type of volume you are backing up to. I'm still searching for a NAS solution.

Oct 22, 2019 9:32 AM in response to ProbsRus

My info says that I have 1.14 tb available in a 2 tb drive--that is the volume I am backing up. I actually have two backup drives--one is a 3 tb drive and that one is full, while the other is a 4 tb drive and it has almost a tb available.

Thinking right now that I will disconnect the 3 tb drive to see if I have a decent backup on the other one and then delete enough off the 3 to get me back up and going.

Why doesn't Time Machine automatically delete the oldest backups to allow new ones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.