Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix black screen on USBC connected external display. Using Safari. Works in all other browsers.

Hi All,

Is this a known issue? I have reset SMC | PRAM and even freshly reinstalled macOS Catalina. Tested just dragging the window from my Retina display to the external (BenQ 3501R) and the video goes black but continues playing the audio.

Connected with USBC

2019 Macbook Pro

• disabled ScreenTime.
  • disabled Auto graphics switching
  • Works in Brave, Firefox and MS Edge Chromium.

Talked with support rep - but appeared that she was not technical and wanted me to walk through and reset SMC again etc. Then pointed to HDCP issue. I kept trying to explain it works in other browsers.

Could someone with a USBC external monitor try using Netflix with Safari 13.1 and macOS Catalina 10.15 (19A602)

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 4:25 AM

Since nobody had replied to me. I continued TS'ing this issue myself. Noticed Cloudkit was performing tasks on Safari. Went into iCloud and unchecked Safari.

After doing this - everything works again properly on my external monitor via USB-C. Hope this helps someone else in the future!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2019 4:25 AM in response to v0iD72

Since nobody had replied to me. I continued TS'ing this issue myself. Noticed Cloudkit was performing tasks on Safari. Went into iCloud and unchecked Safari.

After doing this - everything works again properly on my external monitor via USB-C. Hope this helps someone else in the future!

Netflix black screen on USBC connected external display. Using Safari. Works in all other browsers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.