Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TrustedPeersHelper taking quite a bit of CPU

I upgraded to Catalina, and TrustedPeersHelper is taking 55-100% of CPU - I assume one core. What is this and how can I stop it from using up so much CPU?

-Hans

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 1:43 PM

15 replies

Jan 30, 2020 1:30 PM in response to hejish

• I would suggest to try booting into Safe Mode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262 before using a Terminal Command. Safe mode (sometimes called safe boot) is a way to start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks and prevents some software from automatically loading or opening. If an issue doesn't happen when your Mac is started in safe mode, it was probably caused by a cache or directory issue with your startup disk, which safe mode fixed. If the issue comes back, you might have incompatible login items.

Nov 12, 2019 9:54 AM in response to hejish

I found a solution to this on Reddit here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/dmbuj5/macos_catalina_trustedpeershelper_always_running/

Follow the steps provided by "nielsvz" to delete a small database called "com.apple.security.keychain-defaultContext.TrustedPeersHelper". I followed the steps and it's been almost 48 hours and TrustedPeersHelper is now only taking between 0-0.3% CPU on my MB Pro. You'll probably need to log back into iCloud after deleting but other than that I've had no issues.

This process was also related to poor battery life on my iPhone 11 Pro and Apple Watch Series 3, which are also back to normal.

Nov 16, 2019 1:43 PM in response to brentdo

Thanks Brentdo, for posting link to that solution in reddit.

Wow, what a difference that made with battery life and CPU usage for my all my devices, MacBook-Pro (Catalina), iPhone, Watch (series 4) and iPad.

Not sure if related, but I also noticed push notifications data usage, on my iPhone which uses mobile data also stopped rapidly increasing. Noticed high mobile data usage recently and found push notification usage was high after 7 days. But again not sure if related, did not do a deep dive myself would not know where to start really, to link the two.

Dec 30, 2019 4:25 AM in response to brentdo

I have been looking for a fix for this for months! I didn't know it would affect battery life on other devices. I just ran the Terminal command and have my Series 4 watch charging. I'll have to see if this fixes the battery issues I've been having on that. My watch has only been lasting about 10-12 hours. I even replaced it using AppleCare to continue to have the same issues on the new watch. Thanks!

Dec 30, 2019 12:07 PM in response to MFC0321

To MFC0321: Looking back, I initially thought it helped with all devices, but it was short lived. My series 3 watch on watchOS 6.1.1 continued to have battery issues, and I ended up having Apple replace it under warranty. Luckily the replacement came with watchOS 5.3, so the replacement didn't have any battery issues. Since then, I've upgraded to a series 5 on watchOS 6.1.1, and after initial short battery life for the first few days, battery life is now good on my new watch and iPhone 11 Pro.

Dec 31, 2019 12:59 AM in response to brentdo

After running the Terminal command yesterday and charging my watch to 100% (Series 4), I am now at 50% battery left after 11 hours of normal use. My iPhone (11 Pro) is at 82% after 100% charge and 11 hours of use. It seems to have worked for now. I haven't checked my iPad Pro and it's battery life as those seem to last forever anyway. Hopefully it won't be short lived.

Feb 23, 2020 9:49 AM in response to hejish

This is a follow up to my previous post. I found that my iPhone and Apple Watch were still draining faster than they should. So, instead of following the steps in the reddit.com post again to delete the local sqllite database, I tried something slightly different.

Reviewing the diagnostic logs from my iPhone and watch, I found TrustedPeersHelper still taking a lot of CPU. My mac has been fine, but something still wasn't right with my other devices.

So, this time I ran this command from my mac: tpctl reset

I was then forced to login to iCloud on my mac and iPhone, but ever since my watch and iPhone are not running hot. Yesterday, I wore my watch from 7 am to midnight, and I still had 60% remaining on my watch, and 70% on my iPhone.

The "tpctl reset" resolved all of my battery issues!

TrustedPeersHelper taking quite a bit of CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.