Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vo2 max dropped

Hi my average vo2 max score on the Apple Watch has been 48 for the year to date. I always run on a flat surface and average 2.5 -3 miles to achieve this score. My splits are averaging 8:20 a mile. My last 4 workouts with these same splits - the vo2 max score is approx 38. Why would it drop 10 points is nothing has changed ?

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2019 9:15 PM

Something very similar happened to me in the first week of November. My VO2 was steady at 50-52 since a week or two after I started using my Apple Watch in June. This figure agreed closely with the Garmin watch that I wore previously. Then, in the space of two training sessions done a few days apart, my VO2 max plummeted to 38 and has remained there ever since. It makes no sense because my times and heart rates for similar workouts have not changed. I think this timing coincided with when I installed a software update on either my watch or my iPhone, so I agree with another commenter who suggested Apple could have changed their algorithm for calculating VO2 max. However something must be wacky with either the new algorithm or the old one, which doesn’t promote a lot of confidence in Apple’s approach to VO2 max.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2019 9:15 PM in response to MeishaM

Something very similar happened to me in the first week of November. My VO2 was steady at 50-52 since a week or two after I started using my Apple Watch in June. This figure agreed closely with the Garmin watch that I wore previously. Then, in the space of two training sessions done a few days apart, my VO2 max plummeted to 38 and has remained there ever since. It makes no sense because my times and heart rates for similar workouts have not changed. I think this timing coincided with when I installed a software update on either my watch or my iPhone, so I agree with another commenter who suggested Apple could have changed their algorithm for calculating VO2 max. However something must be wacky with either the new algorithm or the old one, which doesn’t promote a lot of confidence in Apple’s approach to VO2 max.

Nov 25, 2019 3:30 PM in response to MeishaM

Similar problem for me started Oct 18, 2019. Step change (decrease) in VO2 Max estimate with essentially no change in speed, distance, vitals, ... I have a series 3 gps 42mm watch and iPhone 6S plus. I don’t know this for a fact but I suspect a recent software update changed the way VO2 Max is being calculated. If it was intentional (as opposed to a glitch) I would think we would have heard about it.

Jan 2, 2020 6:12 AM in response to teamdrive

Unpairing and re-pairing (fieryjack’s recommendation) worked for me to restore VO2 MAX readings to approximate pre-October 2019 values (when my watch took a step decrease in readings with no change in input data). I am just an Apple Watch user (I don’t speak for Apple) but it’s a harmless process and it works. However, it does not correct the erroneously low values obtained between the mid-October 2019 update and the unpair/re-pair.

Jan 16, 2020 6:40 AM in response to MeishaM

I had the same issue with my numbers hovering around 41 for two years and then falling to 32 all of a sudden. I unpaired my watch and the next workout it went to ~41 again. Last two workouts and it is back down again. Nothing has changed in terms of my workout routine and my health has not fallen off a cliff ! I'd be interested to hear if there is a permanent solution to this or whether I have to buy a Garmin !

Jan 22, 2020 11:46 PM in response to mallory285

If your heart rate is higher over the same speed / distance then that may explain it but if not, try unpairing and re-pairing. I had thought the weather may have affected mine but then found this thread. Re-pairing worked for me initially but has now returned to how it was before. (My stats went from 41 to 31 and back to 42 again by re-pairing). I am going to go through the process again and see if it rises again as it has fallen again suddenly (same route, same speed, same distance, same heart rate) I have also been unable to find how apple calculates VO2max to see if they have changed it - in contrast, Garmin’s method is relatively easy to find.

Ideally, with more and more people using this metric, Apple might explain where things are going wrong and resolve it.

Vo2 max dropped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.