Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clearing Safari Browsing History

When I click on the "History" dropdown menu in Safari the "Clear History" option is dimmed so that I can't clear history. Any idea why? My Mac has the latest Safari and operating system software.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 9:20 AM

Hello markw241,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I understand that Clear History is grayed out in Safari, and I’d like to assist you. 

First, open System Preferences > Screen Time > Options, and check if Screen Time is enabled. If it is, open Content & Privacy, then check if Web Content is set to “Limit Adult Websites” or “Allowed Websites Only.”

If Web Content is limited, try deselecting those options. You can also try going to Safari > File > New Private Window, then try going to Safari > Clear History. From there, head into Safari Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data > [Remove / Remove All].

I hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2019 9:20 AM in response to markw241

Hello markw241,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I understand that Clear History is grayed out in Safari, and I’d like to assist you. 

First, open System Preferences > Screen Time > Options, and check if Screen Time is enabled. If it is, open Content & Privacy, then check if Web Content is set to “Limit Adult Websites” or “Allowed Websites Only.”

If Web Content is limited, try deselecting those options. You can also try going to Safari > File > New Private Window, then try going to Safari > Clear History. From there, head into Safari Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data > [Remove / Remove All].

I hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Clearing Safari Browsing History

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.