Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t access shares from other computers

Since upgrading to Catalina I can’t access shared folders on the upgraded Mac. The computer and shared folders show up when viewed on other computers. The folders have the icon of three people but when selected no contents are displayed. For instance I can choose my user folder and I see the folders for the desktop, downloads, documents, etc but no contents are ever displayed.

Everything seems to be set right, and permissions show me as having read and write privileges. What am I missing on a feature I’ve used successfully for years?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 8:18 PM

Try disabling and re-enabling File Sharing. Make sure you are sharing over SMB, and you are connecting over SMB.

The accounts in the Options should not be enabled, just SMB file sharing.

AFPS volumes cannot be shared over AFP.

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 2, 2019 7:57 AM in response to James Cook2

Since upgrading to Catalina on 3 Macs, 2 of which have Parallels, I cannot view any of the folders shared with Parallels when connecting to a Mac that has Parallels 15 running or even not running and installed. It appears that the folders are locked.

I can open the folders but nothing is displayed. There have been other issues also. Sometimes not able to connect when I have updated the computer name and know the password is correct.

Can’t access shares from other computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.