Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File sharing permission issue

Hi All,

I want to use my Mac mini as a NAS. It is on the newest version of Catalina 10.15.4. I set the File Sharing then choosed the folders what I want to share. Then I created users and assigned to the shared folders and set the permissions. Then I closed the settings and I recognized that everybody has full access. I went back to the Settings => Sharing => File Sharing and I can see that all permissions set back to default. My users what I added to the folders are disappeared. I added them again then closed the settings and back to default again. Tried to restart the Mac and disable/enable the File Sharing. No luck. Can somebody advice what to do? Is there any way to modify the permissions via terminal?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 15, 2020 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 12:37 PM

If you Get Info on the Shared folder, what does it say for the permissions?

We can try to set the permissions using Terminal, but I'm wondering why it is not writing the Access Control List entry for the shared folders on that Mac.

UPDATE:

While testing to see what ACLs are written, mine did not save when entered on Sharing prefpane, either. When I set it in Get Info, it stuck.

How do you want the sharing to work for those folders. I can give you a Terminal command to add an ACL that makes the folder like a file server where people can edit documents created by others. The default for Sharing is only to allow others to read the files. If they want to edit, they have to create a copy.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2020 12:37 PM in response to Tamas92

If you Get Info on the Shared folder, what does it say for the permissions?

We can try to set the permissions using Terminal, but I'm wondering why it is not writing the Access Control List entry for the shared folders on that Mac.

UPDATE:

While testing to see what ACLs are written, mine did not save when entered on Sharing prefpane, either. When I set it in Get Info, it stuck.

How do you want the sharing to work for those folders. I can give you a Terminal command to add an ACL that makes the folder like a file server where people can edit documents created by others. The default for Sharing is only to allow others to read the files. If they want to edit, they have to create a copy.

File sharing permission issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.