Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

music app has wrong playlist order

How can I get the Music app on my iPhone to play/display the songs in the correct order as they are in the iTunes Store and on the iTunes app? Why does it display all album tracks in a random order? Quite annoying and sometimes confusing. I'm on IOS 13.1.3 and iTunes 12.9.5.5 but I've always had this problem.

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 9:18 PM

You might have shuffle turned on. There are two shuffle buttons, not the one on your screenshot which shows off , but one in the now playing area.. it can be on when the other is off!

Repeat and shuffle music

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207230

Shuffle music

To turn shuffle on or off, ask Siri. Or use the controls in the Music app on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch, Mac, Android device, or in iTunes for Windows on your PC.

How to turn shuffle on or off on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Android device

1. Open the Music app.
    • Open an album or playlist.To turn on shuffle, tap Shuffle at the top of the screen.
    • To turn off shuffle, tap the song that's playing at the bottom of the screen to open Now Playing, tap , then tap .

To check if shuffle is turned on, tap the song that's playing at the bottom of the screen to open Now Playing, and l

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2019 9:18 PM in response to bongpheamot

You might have shuffle turned on. There are two shuffle buttons, not the one on your screenshot which shows off , but one in the now playing area.. it can be on when the other is off!

Repeat and shuffle music

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207230

Shuffle music

To turn shuffle on or off, ask Siri. Or use the controls in the Music app on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch, Mac, Android device, or in iTunes for Windows on your PC.

How to turn shuffle on or off on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Android device

1. Open the Music app.
    • Open an album or playlist.To turn on shuffle, tap Shuffle at the top of the screen.
    • To turn off shuffle, tap the song that's playing at the bottom of the screen to open Now Playing, tap , then tap .

To check if shuffle is turned on, tap the song that's playing at the bottom of the screen to open Now Playing, and l

Oct 26, 2019 5:09 PM in response to mickr7an

Can confirm I'm observing the same issue. Most of my playlists are ordered by Date Added orby number of plays, yet on my iPhone everything is sorted by Artist name in descending order. This is incredibly irksome since I really enjoy listen to my playlists in order. I have only started observing this issue since upgrading to MacOS Catalina, Music Version 1.0.0.426, iOS 13.1.3.

Dec 2, 2019 7:41 PM in response to mickr7an

This is more than an inconvenience for classical music users where the order of the playlist is not just a preference but rather something that the composer intended. I've reported the problem using the Apple feedback link.

It is not very encouraging that the list of operating systems on that page doesn't include the latest Mac or iOS versions.

Dec 7, 2019 6:13 PM in response to Leighann___

I use Spudfish Software's Smart Shuffle on my iPhone. It sees the playlists but works with the albums inside them so the tracks are in the right order. But this doesn't solve the problem of a playlist where the tracks are in a custom order.

It's remarkable how slow Apple is addressing these kinds of problems. The fact that Shuffle by Album requires a third-party app under iOS is a sign that they don't understand the actual needs of classical users (or they don't care enough). That the Mac Music app can't autosize Time and Date columns properly is just amazing. That's a bug that was fixed a few iterations of iTunes ago only to return a little while later.

Dave

music app has wrong playlist order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.