Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update won't allow me to open apps

i updated my computer and now can't open some apps

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 10:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 10:21 AM

What app's won't open? Your profile indicates you are running macOS Catalina. Catalina requires 64-bit apps, which means if you have older 32-bit apps installed that were not upgraded during the two year transition to 64-bit apps then they will no longer run under Catalina. Here's an article from Apple that explains the transition:

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

You can identify apps which are 32-bit by using the System Report and scrolling down the sidebar and selecting 'Legacy Software'. A list of 32-bit apps that will not run under Catalina will be displayed. Check with the developer to see whether updates are available.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2019 10:21 AM in response to Tash510129

What app's won't open? Your profile indicates you are running macOS Catalina. Catalina requires 64-bit apps, which means if you have older 32-bit apps installed that were not upgraded during the two year transition to 64-bit apps then they will no longer run under Catalina. Here's an article from Apple that explains the transition:

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

You can identify apps which are 32-bit by using the System Report and scrolling down the sidebar and selecting 'Legacy Software'. A list of 32-bit apps that will not run under Catalina will be displayed. Check with the developer to see whether updates are available.

update won't allow me to open apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.