Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any Mac keyboard in the traditional size, shape, and layout?

Forum forces you to choose a topic and there is no topic for this

I have been searching far and wide for a Mac-specific keyboard that is like a standard plain old keyboard from the past 30+ years. The following is an example, and it's from a company that was traditionally a Mac-only peripheral supplier (Kensington).

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Mouse-Keyboard-Desktop-K72436AM/dp/B009QFKFWS/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=kensington+keyboard&qid=1566497750&s=gateway&sr=8-5

I understand that any Windows keyboard will work with a Mac, but the Mac gets confused by the key layout and thus the command (alt) and option (windows) keys will be reversed. That is not desirable, but the shape and layout of every single Mac-specific keyboard I have ever seen is similarly undesirable. I am currently using an Apple-branded slim bluetooth keyboard and I absolutely hate it in every possible way from the key layout to the razor thin design. I've been using it a year and simply cannot get used to it, so it literally reduces my typing speed by about 25% and my speed for other keyboarding functions far more.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 7:40 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 23, 2019 7:50 AM in response to macjack

Thanks for the reply, but no, that is what I'm using right now. It's not a standard layout. For example, there is no gap between the function keys and the rest of the keyboard, the function keys are not arranged into 4-key groups, the escape key is not separated from the function keys, the backslash/pipe key is the same size as all the other keys, and the arrangement of arithmetic operators on the keypad is completely different. Also, because of the razor thin design it is not the same "shape" as a traditional keyboard. The one I linked is what I am looking for, except MacOS native so the option/windows and command/alt keys won't be reversed.

Is there any Mac keyboard in the traditional size, shape, and layout?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.