Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete a file flagged as "In use"?

I want to delete a large (multi-GB) Aπerture library file from an external drive. The "Delete" process halts and reports "File in use". It is not in use, but was likely corrupted by a power failure that occurred while it was in use.

Advice, suggestions, and instructions appreciated!

Mojave.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 6:32 PM

Hello ralphbrau,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you are encountering an alert indicating that a file is in use when attempting to delete an Aperture library from an external drive connected to your Mac. I would be happy to help provide steps to take next.

Let's try restarting your Mac in macOS Recovery, then use Disk Utility to select and run First Aid on the external drive:

Repair a disk using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Test if your able to delete the Aperture library after. If not, we'll also want to make sure there are no background processes that could also be using this file:

How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted on the results.

Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2019 6:32 PM in response to ralphbrau

Hello ralphbrau,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you are encountering an alert indicating that a file is in use when attempting to delete an Aperture library from an external drive connected to your Mac. I would be happy to help provide steps to take next.

Let's try restarting your Mac in macOS Recovery, then use Disk Utility to select and run First Aid on the external drive:

Repair a disk using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Test if your able to delete the Aperture library after. If not, we'll also want to make sure there are no background processes that could also be using this file:

How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted on the results.

Cheers!

How to delete a file flagged as "In use"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.