Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File that cannot be deleted

How to delete file that the mac deems necessary for macOS

Posted on Oct 17, 2021 10:51 AM

8 replies

Oct 30, 2021 10:35 AM in response to DiZoE

I am an admin user and the only user.

When I try to empty the trash I get the following message for each of the numerous files.

“xfs” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by macOS.

The files are all in a folder labeled "bin" which is currently in the Trash. All of the other files in the Relocated file folder were deleted.

I have attached a screenshot of the open folder in the trash and the get info window as requested.

Oct 18, 2021 2:43 AM in response to ACTPS

Files that are part of the OS are contained on a Volume Macintosh HD. That Volume is Read Only and should not, nor can be altered, moved, removed, modified nor attempted to do the afore mentioned. Doing so can corrupt the OS to the point of having to Reinstall the OS and all programs setting etc.

Plus, what one is asking for could be considered against the Rules of the ASC Forums - hacking the OS.

Oct 29, 2021 9:07 PM in response to esidoti

Hey esidoti!

The Relocated Items folder on the Desktop, which is a shortcut to /Shared/ folder, should give you permissions to the files. Are you an admin user? Likewise, is there a particular error message when trying to delete the files or empty the Trash? Such as a permissions error?

I know in some cases, the only way to get rid of a file if protected is to disable the system security, which I wouldn’t recommend for something not vital. In those cases, I’d just keep the OS up to date.

If it is a file that’s simply blocked by the system security, I believe you can run a command while in Mac OS Recovery only, to delete the file, without having to disable the security. (Again, this is if the file(s) are not on the “read only” Macintosh HD volume.

Is this file already in the Trash? Can you take a screen shot of it, as well as right click > Get Info, and expand all of the sections on the left side of the Get Info window? And also, a specific error message would help.

File that cannot be deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.