Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Word 16.30 text selection via mouse not working

Have upgraded to Catalina on a mid 2015 macbook pro and now MS Word (office 365 16.30) is not working correctly. Unable to highlight and select text. Freezes, lags, refuses to select correctly and/or weird display glitches. Have run checks on mac and reinstalled office but problem persists. Any fixes?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 4:08 PM

Same mid-2015 MBP, same problem. Happens for me on both Microsoft Word 16.30 and 16.31. I get what looks like a ~10sec lockup upon text selection in Word. During that time, mouse movements still render but the rest of the OS doesn’t visibly update until the lockup passes, at which point the screen is redrawn. Seems that it’s a graphics card issue: my system logs show Word causing a GPU Reset / DumpGPURestart each time. Evidently it’s not a hard lockup, as other applications seem to continue working while the screen is non-responsive.

From my testing, it appears the lockup only happens when the discrete graphics card is active (and despite the fact that the discrete card may have not been activated by Word, but rather, some other app). Note that any external display connected through Thunderbolt will automatically activate the discrete graphics card.

For now, a workaround is to ensure only the integrated graphics card is running, in which case Word seems to run smoothly.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2019 4:08 PM in response to pnm1

Same mid-2015 MBP, same problem. Happens for me on both Microsoft Word 16.30 and 16.31. I get what looks like a ~10sec lockup upon text selection in Word. During that time, mouse movements still render but the rest of the OS doesn’t visibly update until the lockup passes, at which point the screen is redrawn. Seems that it’s a graphics card issue: my system logs show Word causing a GPU Reset / DumpGPURestart each time. Evidently it’s not a hard lockup, as other applications seem to continue working while the screen is non-responsive.

From my testing, it appears the lockup only happens when the discrete graphics card is active (and despite the fact that the discrete card may have not been activated by Word, but rather, some other app). Note that any external display connected through Thunderbolt will automatically activate the discrete graphics card.

For now, a workaround is to ensure only the integrated graphics card is running, in which case Word seems to run smoothly.

Nov 1, 2019 9:25 AM in response to VikingOSX

No. When Catalina updated to 10.15.1, I went from having 10-15 seconds of the computer hanging to having my computer reboot entirely and Bluetooth stop working until I did a hard reset.

So it's actually much worse.

I had MS Auto-update turned off, so I'm not sure how it ended up reverting to 16.30, but reinstalling Word 16.29 solved the problem once again.

Nov 3, 2019 12:57 PM in response to ldskjfhasdlgkhdglkhdsaa

I experienced the problem getting worse when I updated to 10.15.1 It actually crashes the entire machine, now if I drag an open word document from one screen to the next and highlight some text the computer crashes. I get what I assume is the equivalent of the windows blue screen of death but for a mac - something I've never seen before. The only work around is not to use a two screen set up when using Word. Or as I've taken to do now - only use Word on my ipad. Don't think this will be priority for either party to fix.

Microsoft Word 16.30 text selection via mouse not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.