Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine only shows 2 days of backups since updating to Catalina

Hello!

So among the multiple problems I have had with Catalina, the biggest one for me has been with time machine. For some reason I am only able to see two days worth of backups...it only shows Today and Yesterday. That goes for any day, last week I looked into time machine and it only had Today and Yesterday. Checked a few days after that, same thing. And then I checked again today, same thing. The Time Machine is backing up, but for some reason I just can't see anything past Yesterday.

Any help on this would be great thanks!

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 5:33 PM

Well, after days and days of searching I finally came across a thread that helped me out greatly!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8368497

So after reading it, and entering shift - command - c that seems to have fixed the problem. I don't know if upgrading to Catalina changed some things, but hopefully if anyone has this same problem comes across this thread...that's what solved the problem for me!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2019 5:33 PM in response to ithew

Well, after days and days of searching I finally came across a thread that helped me out greatly!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8368497

So after reading it, and entering shift - command - c that seems to have fixed the problem. I don't know if upgrading to Catalina changed some things, but hopefully if anyone has this same problem comes across this thread...that's what solved the problem for me!

Dec 10, 2019 7:47 AM in response to ithew

I have had this problem since upgrading to Catalina. I have tried the fixes recommended (shift-command-c) and deleting the plist file to no avail.

I have two network backup disks, one on a Time Capsule and the other on an external drive.

What I have observed is that the process of preparing for backup (with "backupd" running compute bound for hours) will cause Time machine to only see back to yesterday. I believe that is because that is what is available on the local machine. It cannot go back and see what is on the actual backup disks while it is preparing for backup.

When the backup is finally complete, (it finished my 7:42 am backup process at about 5pm yesterday) you can then see what is on the remote devices. For me, one disk had been converted from sparsebundle to backupbundle. What I could see was only what was "upgraded" to the new file type. Later last night, the system finished backing up to the other disk. That disk goes a back a bit further in time. I hope to see all the way back to that time once "backupd" finishes today. Right at the moment I can again only see to yesterday.

The compute bound nature of "backupd" under Catalina seems to be the cause of this issue and its resolution will need to be installed (once available -- I am assuming that someone is working on this) until entering Time Machine will work as designed. In the meantime, you need to see if the backup has completed before entering Time Machine if you want to go further back than yesterday.

Jan 19, 2020 7:58 AM in response to ithew

I waited to upload Catalina and now I am frustrated that I can only see today and yesterday.

I am not very computer savvy so I don't understand when or where to do shift - command -c. Do you open time machine and do it? If so what do you do next? (I tried it and nothing happened) Do you do it when you first open the computer at login? What should happen?

Time Machine only shows 2 days of backups since updating to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.