Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring from a Time Machine back-up - puzzlement!

Hello - I've read here: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203981

Yesterday, I decided to wipe the hard drive on my iMac and reinstall Catalina from my Time Machine back-up. When I had to choose WHICH back-up to install, I noticed something which I felt was rather odd. Instead of simply choosing a particular date/time of the back-up to use, I had a choice of which hard drive to select too! There were many more dates available on one of the disks than the other. I took a photograph of what I saw to show what I mean:-

Have you ever encountered such a thing before? HD and HD1 - as I’m sure you can see.

SHOULD it be like this? Is it a phenomenon of macOS Catalina perhaps?

I decided NOT to use my Time Machine back-up at all. I did erase my hard drive ……… and then did much ‘fiddling’ to get Catalina back up-and-running again on this machine. Everything seems to be working but I’m keeping my external hard drive in its original state for now - I’m NOT making any back-up for the time-being,

I’d really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 12:08 PM

deggie's reply is correct.

Rather than concern yourself with the reason TM assigned unique names to the restore source, you really ought to start from the beginning. Describe the end result you are seeking.

The reason is important. You erased that Mac's startup disk, and now you want to restore a backup. Restoring a startup disk from a backup erases it first (TM tells you that) so erasing as a separate step wasn't necessary.

Furthermore, restoring the most recent backup recreates the exact same state that existed prior to erasing it. It gets complicated, because if you select "Macintosh HD" (or "HD 1") you are restoring its Local Snapshot. Time Machine tells you that too. That's a fine idea if your goal is to undo something you did subsequent to that backup's creation.

So, what you want to accomplish isn't clear to me.

Although a peculiarity of this site often results in similar or identical answers (often, existing replies don't appear until a new one is posted) unless I have something constructive to add I don't disturb a Discussion in which its OP is already receiving competent assistance. That's just me. I don't intend to impose that practice upon anyone, and in this particular case there's nothing to add to "you select the most recent backup," regardless of its name.

That's why I didn't reply. I'm replying now because you asked... but your question really needs more explanation: Why did you erase the startup disk?

Similar questions

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2019 12:08 PM in response to HunterBD

deggie's reply is correct.

Rather than concern yourself with the reason TM assigned unique names to the restore source, you really ought to start from the beginning. Describe the end result you are seeking.

The reason is important. You erased that Mac's startup disk, and now you want to restore a backup. Restoring a startup disk from a backup erases it first (TM tells you that) so erasing as a separate step wasn't necessary.

Furthermore, restoring the most recent backup recreates the exact same state that existed prior to erasing it. It gets complicated, because if you select "Macintosh HD" (or "HD 1") you are restoring its Local Snapshot. Time Machine tells you that too. That's a fine idea if your goal is to undo something you did subsequent to that backup's creation.

So, what you want to accomplish isn't clear to me.

Although a peculiarity of this site often results in similar or identical answers (often, existing replies don't appear until a new one is posted) unless I have something constructive to add I don't disturb a Discussion in which its OP is already receiving competent assistance. That's just me. I don't intend to impose that practice upon anyone, and in this particular case there's nothing to add to "you select the most recent backup," regardless of its name.

That's why I didn't reply. I'm replying now because you asked... but your question really needs more explanation: Why did you erase the startup disk?

Oct 28, 2019 2:11 AM in response to John Galt

Hello John - thank you for responding. 🙂

There were LOTS of insignificant things happening on my iMac which weren't quite as expected so, for fun, I installed Kasperky's Internet Security software on a trial basis. By logging-on to my account on the Kaspersky website, I could see ALL my various devices running from/through my router! Not only that, but I was unable to use Kaspersky to run a scan on my machine. Both the Full scan and Quick scan failed. My paranoid perception was that *something* prevented that scan from happening! 

You'll no doubt think I'm crazy when I tell you that I've had an uneasy feeling - for a long time - that someone other than me was able to manipulate my machine! I just wanted to start over with a 'clean sheet' as it were!  😉

I was influenced, to a degree, by an article written by another retired naval officer. You may find same interesting yourself; you can find it here:- https://eclecticlight.co/2019/03/11/re-installing-macos-clean-or-what/

I subsequently discovered that my external hard drive - holding my Time Machine back-ups - appeared to be copying TWO hard drives, HD and HD1, as shown here:-

So, I erased my hard drive and have, hopefully, started completely afresh. 😁

Does YOUR Time Machine back-up have both HD and HD1?

Whilst I'm confident that you will already know, John, for anyone else reading here, the procedure to be followed is shown here:-

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

I hope this helps you understand. Your views will be most welcome!

D.

Oct 29, 2019 9:18 AM in response to HunterBD

The one thing I've gathered while seeing various posts on this type of problem is two folded:

1. Fact: Catalina splits the hard drive into Mac HD and Mac HD - Data. The first is the system and not writeable - you have no access to it. The second contains everything else and you have read/write permissions. The only place to see this is in Disk Utility and those two should be listed.
  2. If there are two of either showing, it appears that it was a botched install and/or the drive was not erased before a "clean" install. Which would mean to use recovery and erase your drive completely and reinstall from Apple (rather than TM). You would have to use other means (setup assistant or drag 'n drop) to get your files moved over.

Oct 29, 2019 10:28 AM in response to babowa

Thank you for your comments, 'babowa.

I have now obtained an enclosure for the 1TB hard drive I purchased last winter to install in my old iMac. I have called this new external hard drive 'My Back-up!'. Incidentally, that was the machine which I attempted to repair by heating the chip on the graphics card with a gas blow-torch - and failed! 😉

I replaced it with another (second-hand) iMac which has an SSD fitted and which now has a clean installation of OS X El Capitan. I have now 'tested' 'My Back-up!' on that computer. I carried out a Time Machine back-up without difficulty. I then shut down my machine and then restarted in Recovery Mode. Here's the proof!

I then moved forward to see if I had just one HD from which to recover - and I did! 😊

Satisfied that all was working well, I restarted my old iMac and ejected the external hard drive. I then connected 'My Back-up!' to my new iMac as had been suggested by John Galt. Here's proof again:-

I restarted my new machine in Recovery Mode and looked to see what was on offer - was it just HD ......... or HD and HD1?

You can see for yourself:-

Out of interest, because someone here on ASC said it would be no problem, I decided to proceed as if to restore from the back-up. This is the message I was shown:-

That was not unexpected by me!

Satisfied that all is now working properly, I restarted my iMac and am now writing this message upon it! 😎

My WD My Book 2TB external drive must hold the secret as to why I was earlier offered the choice of HD and HD1 disks from which to restore. I'm still hoping that someone can suggest who - or what - may have tampered with that drive.

Can anyone suggest a means of scanning the drive for malware? I don't really want to load any anti-virus software onto either of my iMacs! 🤔

Thanks for listening!

David.

Oct 25, 2019 1:31 PM in response to mreed

I'm even more puzzled now! 🤨

You have no idea what dates were being shown when the other HD was selected - and I cannot remember! The dates, as far as I can recall were, though, different - and there were many more dates/times under one heading than the other.

Thanks, though, for trying to assist me with this matter. It's appreciated. 🙂

Oct 28, 2019 12:08 PM in response to HunterBD

I do understand, and no I don't think you're crazy. Having said that if you suspect malicious interference with your Mac or anything else, you're always better off inquiring here first (or somewhere else, provided you have confidence in the advice you may receive) before heading down some rabbit hole where you're only going to find more bizarre weirdness likely to feed into whatever paranoia may or may not be justified.

The very last thing anyone should ever do is to install some non-Apple "anti-virus" junk, unless of course it's merely for your own entertainment or to satisfy some morbid curiosity.

It's actually not accurate to say that's the very last thing anyone should ever do. Just don't do it, ever. For example I could describe my experience with "Kaspersky" specifically, but an accurate report would require the use of foul language so extreme no respectable website like ASC would permit it.

Does YOUR Time Machine back-up have both HD and HD1?

No, but I have a great number of TM backups and confess I just don't have the time to exhaustively inspect each one.

As I initially surmised, your question is a bit complicated and deserves more attention than I have been able to devote to it. In light of that limitation, here's what I recommend: First, be sure to obtain and use at least one additional, redundant, Time Machine backup device. You can use it in addition to your existing ones and TM will back up to it "in rotation". Satisfy yourself that TM is working properly with it, which might take a week or two of observing its operation. Then, when you are confident enough, take your existing "My Book", erase it using Disk Utility, and return it to Time Machine's rotation.

Unfortunately that will not address your question regarding the presence of "HD" and "HD 1" but there are too many complicating factors for me to provide anything more than a guess as to its appearance. The screenshot you posted is odd and doesn't resemble my TM backups, so all I can say is "that doesn't look right".

There are valid reasons to periodically erase a TM backup device. If nothing else the sheer number of files (well into the millions) just becomes overwhelming. When I realized some of my backups went all the way back to Lion, I erased them and started over. The length of time you want to keep backups is up to you, but in my case if I haven't required to restore something for several months, it's unlikely I ever will. So I erase it.

Oct 29, 2019 10:49 AM in response to HunterBD

You would have had to look before erasing and reinstalling.

I’ve only seen this on external drives, but if the drive gets “lost”, the OS might mount it again suffixing with a 1 since there is already a mount pour by that name.

My guess here is that happened with your startup drive (which I really can’t imagine). Time Machine then backed up both mount points.

Oct 29, 2019 11:32 AM in response to HunterBD

This is going to be my last comment here because it is delving into two things I do not use: TM (so I do not know how it works) and WD external drives, especially if they were not erased and formatted before use and therefore still have unnecessary WD software on them.

Your DU screenshot shows the two correct entries for your internal, so that is good. I have no idea what is happening on your external.

Oct 29, 2019 4:39 PM in response to HunterBD

Hi. When I updated to Catalina I had the same situation.

As far as I can understand, it has to do with Apple's new APFS file structure. While it looks like there are two volumes there, apparently it's really one and cannot be used as separate storage. Shortly after Catalina dropped Adobe advised Photoshop users not to upgrade to Catalina as there are unresolved issues. Functioning Pshop is vital to my work, so using a SuperDuper backup I restored my original content running macOS Mojave BUT I still have the two disks on my desktop.

My start up disk is Macintosh HD, but other contributors to this forum have recommended using Macintosh HD Data as your boot drive. My 2018 iMac is working okay though. I don't know if this helps. Good luck.

Restoring from a Time Machine back-up - puzzlement!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.