Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After wiping my Macintosh HD disk clean, how do I apply a Time Machine backup to the cleaned Mac?

My Macbook Pro 2015 is experiencing some technical issues that support has spent a lot of man hours trying to fix. As a last result, we are uninstalling macOS Catalina 10.15.4 and wiping the Macintosh HD disk clean. I've been given step-by-step instructions on how to do this and how to reinstall the OS once more.

My only question is, how do I then take my Time Machine backup and apply it to the newly cleaned Mac once all is said and done? I'm NOT tech-savvy, so I apologize if this is a silly question... but I can't find info online about this and did not think to ask on the phone with support. Is the application of my recent backup automatic once I turn Time Machine back on in the system preferences?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 10:23 AM

Hold down cmd-R and restart. When it boots into Recovery, click Restore and choose the Time Machine backup you want to use.

Similar questions

2 replies

After wiping my Macintosh HD disk clean, how do I apply a Time Machine backup to the cleaned Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.