Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to load time machine backup after changing OS on 27in iMac late 2013

I have a 27in iMac late 2013 that I was running os 10.11using a WD mycloud hard drive for Time Machine backups. I upgraded to OS 10.15 Catalina for new software to work, but unfortunately some other software I wanted to use did not. So I made a bootable install drive for 10.14 Mojave to downgrade to the older OS. After I did the downgrade install, I am unable to see the time machine backups either on my wd mycloud hard drive or as an option to restore from on start up or in the finder app. There is an older MacBook Pro time machine backup that shows up on my hard drive but not the iMac backup. Is there any hope for recovering my backup?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 11:45 AM

The only other help I have for you:

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

If this doesn't help, then I suggest you call Apple Support.

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  3. To contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 11:45 AM in response to chance501

The only other help I have for you:

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

If this doesn't help, then I suggest you call Apple Support.

Contacting Apple Customer and Support Service

1. Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.
  2. Primary support help at Contact Support.
  3. To contact product and tech support:  Contacting Apple for support and service including international calling numbers.

Mar 30, 2020 9:03 PM in response to chance501

Your old backup was under 10.11. Time Machine has changed quite a bit since then including a change in the folder name. You should restore your old Time Machine backup, then upgrade it to Mojave using the bootable flash drive installer.

Have you tried using Migration Assistant to transfer your Home folder from the Time Machine backup drive?

Mar 30, 2020 9:12 PM in response to Kappy

Currently, my iMac is on 10.15 Catalina and I cannot see or find any of my iMac Time Machine backups. The first time I upgraded to 10.15 I could still see the backups going back months, but after I downgraded using the Mojave bootable flash drive installer, the Time Machine backups don't show up.

I am not familiar with Migration Assistant.

Unable to load time machine backup after changing OS on 27in iMac late 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.