Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Catalina, short battery life on MacBook Pro 15" - 2016

Good evening, I own a MacBook Pro 15" late 2016 and a couple of weeks ago I updated to OS Catalina with also first official update some days after launch.

I noticed that since Catalina runs on my Mac the battery life has decreased a lot, about 80% less than before !

With Mojave the average battery duration was about 10 hours, now not more than 2,5 ! Really unbelievable.

Of course I made a full check up and test's results are ok, also battery is ok because the completed charge cycles are only 210 on 1000 as on Apple official technical support site.

So I can't think about any other explanation if not that this problem has been caused by OS Catalina.

Did anyone else notice the some behaviour after updated to OS Catalina ?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 1:23 PM

Same problem with similar age MacBook pro, except that my problem started with Mojave. See the following thread (and similar ones) for reports of the same issue, a whole OS version earlier. No response from Apple at all. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8553128

103 replies

Apr 18, 2020 1:12 PM in response to enoughstatic

I just updated to Catalina 10.15.04: Here is my battery status as I make this post:

I have a MBA 2017, I was running MacOS HS until I decided to upgrade.

So far I do not see any battery drain problem for my laptop and the performance is the same.

What I did to prepare the update:

1. I updated all my apps to latest version before updating the OS.
  2. I checked if all the apps are 64bits and uninstalled the 32bits apps.
  3. I charged my battery and left my Mac on the charger. The process took around 1 hour to complete.

Feb 26, 2020 11:29 AM in response to AntoninoSA

I have two Mac laptops on my kitchen table:

MacBook Air Early 2015, 4GB Ram, 128GB SSD, original battery

MacBook Pro Mid 2012, 16GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, new battery, calibrated, < 20 cycles

Both are running Catalina 10.15.3

I just unplugged them both this morning at 7:00 AM. It's now 11:00 AM.

The MacBook Pro had some light use for 30 minutes. No use on the Air.

MacBook Air: 64% remaining

MacBook Pro: 5% remaining

The MacBook Pro is burning through the battery almost three times as fast as the Air..

• I noticed the MacBook Pro hard drive never spins down
  • The MacBook Pro has a lot more software installed. However, both systems have the latest Microsoft Office suite.
  • Both systems showed CPU idle of around 95% in Activity Monitor, however the MacBook Air was a percent or two more idle.
  • Bluetooth is off on both systems
  • The MacBook Pro has Adobe Creative Suite installed, and DropBox and both are using a small amount of energy. Those are not installed on the Air.

Nothing showing in activity monitor would account for the huge difference in battery life.

Does anyone have any suggestions for experiments to try?

David

Jun 29, 2020 11:33 PM in response to AntoninoSA

Issue remains in 10.15.5. I can confirm this too. Can someone help with using pmset commands to kill scheduled tasks. The task com.apple.alarm.user-visible-com.apple.remindd.time-alarm seems to be waking up my Mac every few seconds. Apparently this is related to the reminds app.

The drain is significantly reduced if I turn WIFI off and sleep. If someone can please help with how to kill scheduled tasks that would be super helpful.

Oct 25, 2019 4:03 AM in response to Delano Jennings

I think that all batteries are planned internally via software to reduce performance after two years in order to make people to buy new one.

Otherwise It's no possible all this because also the iPhones have had many problems with batteries, also some MacBook Pro recalled from Apple because issues from battery.

But I strongly think that in my case the problem is Catalina; Mojave was much better in everything and I'm thinking also to downgrade my both Macs to Mojave ...

Oct 29, 2019 6:41 PM in response to Delano Jennings

So no doubt that the problem should be Catalina; I have just updated at 10.15.1 but nothing to do.

I think we have to organize a test group and contact Apple, then post a new discussion and make other know about this problem but before this we must have more confirmation from other people because I strongly think that its not a case that all fo us have had the same problem just after update to Catalina.

Nov 5, 2019 8:59 PM in response to AntoninoSA

I own a 2018 MacBook Pro (w/ the Touch Bar) and I am also having issues with the battery. I have never had issues with the battery life until I upgraded the software a few days ago. Since then my battery life has really shortened and I can't believe how quickly it can go from 98% to 40% - in a matter of minutes. I would like to know how to address this issue. I just completed a SMC reset but I notice no changes. I have been worried about this because I use my Mac for everything school-related. Any advice would help.

Nov 11, 2019 12:11 AM in response to AntoninoSA

Same issue.

Mine's MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017). Battery life down drastically after Catalina upgrade.

Cycle count is 374, which I'm assuming is higher than the rest of the posts here, but my battery life used to be significantly higher. At 56% charge, my Battery Monitor says it's going to last 1 hr 45 mins. It's a joke compared to what it used to be earlier!

Nov 15, 2019 11:46 PM in response to MichalKul

Seriously, are we sitting ducks now? There has been no hint that Apple has acknowledged this issue. Will the next update undo this battery damage, or is it going to continue this way? At least if Apple would respond as to which background process is taking such a toll on our existing battery life!

If anyone has gone to Apple Care and found a solution, please update here.

Nov 20, 2019 5:20 AM in response to AntoninoSA

I purchased a new 15in MacBook Pro in September. I loved it! It was my first Mac and it worked great! I upgraded to Catalina 3weeks ago and hate it! I cannot go more than 2.5 hours without draining to 0%. Honestly, my old Dell computer battery stays charged longer and that’s saying a lot! I hope Apple fixes this issue soon, I am taking my computer back to the Apple store tomorrow and I am crossing my fingers they can help. As of now...I am having to use my Dell if I need a computer for more than 2 hours.

OS Catalina, short battery life on MacBook Pro 15" - 2016

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.