Question:

Question: OS Catalina, short battery life on MacBook Pro 15" - 2016

Good evening, I own a MacBook Pro 15" late 2016 and a couple of weeks ago I updated to OS Catalina with also first official update some days after launch.

I noticed that since Catalina runs on my Mac the battery life has decreased a lot, about 80% less than before !

With Mojave the average battery duration was about 10 hours, now not more than 2,5 ! Really unbelievable.

Of course I made a full check up and test's results are ok, also battery is ok because the completed charge cycles are only 210 on 1000 as on Apple official technical support site.

So I can't think about any other explanation if not that this problem has been caused by OS Catalina.

Did anyone else notice the some behaviour after updated to OS Catalina ?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on

Oct 24, 2019 11:56 AM in response to AntoninoSA In response to AntoninoSA

Im having similar problem. I have 2015 MacBook 12'' & battery drain has been ridiculous! When I contacted support, they blamed it on Chrome. My battery was replaced few months back so its not the problem. My battery shows normal & cycle count is 276.

Oct 24, 2019 11:56 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 25, 2019 4:03 AM in response to Delano Jennings In response to Delano Jennings

I think that all batteries are planned internally via software to reduce performance after two years in order to make people to buy new one.

Otherwise It's no possible all this because also the iPhones have had many problems with batteries, also some MacBook Pro recalled from Apple because issues from battery.

But I strongly think that in my case the problem is Catalina; Mojave was much better in everything and I'm thinking also to downgrade my both Macs to Mojave ...

Oct 25, 2019 4:03 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 25, 2019 7:13 AM in response to AntoninoSA In response to AntoninoSA

I put my MacBook to sleep at 100%, just opened it & it was at 51%. In the 3 mins to open browser & type this comment its down to 46%. Thats Catalina! This is ridiculous! How can i got back to Mojave??

Just looked into downgrading & Apple makes it nearly impossible since I didnt have time machine set up.

Oct 25, 2019 7:13 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 29, 2019 6:41 PM in response to Delano Jennings In response to Delano Jennings

So no doubt that the problem should be Catalina; I have just updated at 10.15.1 but nothing to do.

I think we have to organize a test group and contact Apple, then post a new discussion and make other know about this problem but before this we must have more confirmation from other people because I strongly think that its not a case that all fo us have had the same problem just after update to Catalina.

Oct 29, 2019 6:41 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 30, 2019 8:48 AM in response to AntoninoSA In response to AntoninoSA

I'm also having the same problem with my 15 inch MacBook Pro 2017 edition. I updated to 10.15.1 and the battery life seems to be a tiny bit better, however it is not close to Mojave. I got 8 hours of battery in Mojave with same usage and behaviour and now I'm only getting max 3-4 hours. Apple have to fix the battery problem!

Oct 30, 2019 8:48 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 30, 2019 1:23 PM in response to AntoninoSA In response to AntoninoSA

Same problem with similar age MacBook pro, except that my problem started with Mojave. See the following thread (and similar ones) for reports of the same issue, a whole OS version earlier. No response from Apple at all. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8553128

Oct 30, 2019 1:23 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: AntoninoSA

Question: OS Catalina, short battery life on MacBook Pro 15" - 2016