Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location map missing in iMessage since 13 update.

How do I get back the location map in iMessage details tab. After the iOS 13 update the map is now missing.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2019 11:33 AM

Jrich828 : I'm having exactly the same problem. We have 3 iphones and 3 ipads in the house. All have the latest iOS updates.

In one phone in particular and for only one particular contact. The map in iMessages is missing for that one contact. That contact can see my location and has sharing turned on. I can see that contact in the new "find my" app, but not in iMessage. The map does show up for the other contacts in my iMessage app for other contacts however.

This is supper annotying and has to be a bug. Because I disabled and reenabled iMessage and had it working for about a day before it disappeared iMessage again.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2019 11:33 AM in response to jrich828

Jrich828 : I'm having exactly the same problem. We have 3 iphones and 3 ipads in the house. All have the latest iOS updates.

In one phone in particular and for only one particular contact. The map in iMessages is missing for that one contact. That contact can see my location and has sharing turned on. I can see that contact in the new "find my" app, but not in iMessage. The map does show up for the other contacts in my iMessage app for other contacts however.

This is supper annotying and has to be a bug. Because I disabled and reenabled iMessage and had it working for about a day before it disappeared iMessage again.

Oct 30, 2019 4:33 PM in response to raina_b22

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this information. We have already followed all of the steps for sharing as you’ve outlined and things were working fine until iOS 13. Now the map is just missing. Like it doesn’t exist. It’s as though I have inadvertently turned off the ‘show map’ feature under the Details tab in iMessage, which I’m pretty sure doesn’t exist. I can find the person using the Find My app....sometimes. It’s a glitch I’m thinking along with many other glitches. Hoping Apple can fix them all soon. Thanks again!

Oct 30, 2019 4:22 PM in response to jrich828

Hi jrich828,

Thank you for posting. I see you have a question about location sharing in Messages.

When you tap "i" to open Details, do you see the "Send My Current Location" and "Share My Location" options? It sounds like this resource might help: Share locations in Find My on your iPhone and other devices

"Follow a friend's shared location

If someone shares their location with you or you request their location and they agree to share it, you can then follow their location.

Ask to follow someone's location

To start following another person, you need to first share your location with them. Then follow these steps:

1. Open the Find My app and select the People tab.
  2. Select the person you shared your location with.
  3. Scroll down and choose Ask To Follow Location, then select OK.

Respond to a location sharing request

When someone shares their location with you, you can choose to share your location back:

1. Open the Find My app and select the People tab.
  2. Under the name of the person who sent you their location, choose Share to let them follow your location.
  3. If you don't want to share your location with that person, select Cancel."

"Other ways to share your location

You can share your location with a person from the Messages app on your iPhone.

In the Messages app

1. Open the Messages app on your iPhone and select a message.
  2. Select the name of the person at the top of the conversation. 
  3. Choose the information icon .
  4. Select Send My Current Location. Your recipient will see your location on the map. Or choose Share My Location. Then choose the length of time that you want to share your location for."

I hope this answers your question! Take care.

Oct 31, 2019 7:57 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thank you for trying to help me. That setting on my phone was toggled off, which leads me to think MY location would be missing but that’s not the case. The setting on the other phone was toggled on and set to allow sharing the location.

Immediately after the iOS 13 update, the map was present but it was tracking an iPad, not an iPhone. Once I made changes to that setting in the Find My app and reset the iMessage app on the sharing phone is when the map disappeared. Not sure if that will help Apple or someone else figure this out.

Thanks for everyone who is looking into this. I wish I could share a screen shot but can’t redact personal information with the edit tool (isn’t dark enough). Just imagine the detail screen with the person’s name at the top and then the Share My Location and Stop Sharing My Location buttons directly under that...no map.

Thanks again!

Nov 3, 2019 6:00 AM in response to MoonJ.

Hello, I followed up this morning with Apple Support and they stated that no one with the iOS 13 should be able to see the map under the Details tab of iMessage. The map is now located in the Find My app according to Apple. I still believe this issue is a bug because the map shows up on my iPad and also on hubby’s iPhone and iPad in iMessage. All the available information online, including Apple, indicates the map is located in iMessage and Find My apps. So I don’t know. I do have it in Find My so guess I need to wait for a fix somewhere down the road. i really hate these updates that provide some new features but also screw up a bunch more of other great features. Seems like we lose more than we gain. This map issue is just one of about 5 other issues we have now. Ugh!

Dec 18, 2019 11:39 AM in response to Foxxwoof

Yes, that’s exactly my issue too. The person sharing their location can see me but I can’t see them...only in Find My. When I spoke to Apple Support, they said that is the way it’s supposed to be although none of their online support info says that, and that’s not how it is for everyone. I hope Apple gets that fixed soon.

Location map missing in iMessage since 13 update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.