Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade problem or...?

I just recently upgraded to Catalina and have a weird problem! When I boot up the Mac, I get a pop-up that I can't delete! It says: "spchlpr" will damage your computer. You should move it to the trash. But when i try to trash it, another one pops up that says: "maftask" will damage your computer. You should move it to the trash. It's endless and even though I've tried different ways to get rid of it, it's still on my screen! It wasn't there until I upgraded to Catalina. Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on how to trash this annoying pop-up?

iMac 21.5" 4K

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 8:16 AM

Hi jamesfromtokushima,

To give a little more detail about the two messages you are getting, "spchlpr" is malware and "maftask" is considered adware.

To completely remove them I recommend you download a copy of Malwarebytes and run it. It will scan your Mac and allow you to delete all traces of spchlpr and maftask.

I hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2019 8:16 AM in response to jamesfromtokushima

Hi jamesfromtokushima,

To give a little more detail about the two messages you are getting, "spchlpr" is malware and "maftask" is considered adware.

To completely remove them I recommend you download a copy of Malwarebytes and run it. It will scan your Mac and allow you to delete all traces of spchlpr and maftask.

I hope this helps.

Upgrade problem or...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.