Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to import AVCHD files into iMovie

Hi. Is there a workaround to import AVCHD files (created by a Sony camera) into the current version of iMovie? This was working fine with previous versions.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 1:52 PM

9 replies

Oct 27, 2019 8:08 AM in response to Hovermatix

Check this website to determine whether your Sony is an Apple supported camera:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204202

Some users have had difficulty importing AVCHD files and found that the problem was solved by removing from their Macs the obsolete A52 codec and/or the Perian app and Perian.prefPane. Take a look at this rather long thread. The discussion about Perian begins on page 2.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8123734?answerId=33050087022&page=2

-- Rich

Oct 28, 2019 12:40 AM in response to Hovermatix

I don’t have my Mac at hand right now, so unable to check my audio folder re plugins. The A52 codec, if it exists on your Mac, would be located in Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components. So if it is not in there you don’t have it.

iMovie should be able to convert AVCHD mts files automatically. Have you tried using the Image Capture app on your Mac to import the AVCHD folder to your desktop? Or tried to import into the Photos app?

— Rich

Oct 28, 2019 6:50 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks for your time and advice, Rich. The only way I've had success is to import video into the Photos app, directly from the camera. For the record, Image Capture doesn't see the video files, only JPG. The Sony proprietary software (after a restart) enables download of the AVCHD and MTS files, but neither has audio. The same goes for iMovie, importing from the camera/SD card - no audio. So the solution for me was an import into Photos, then import into iMovie from the Photos source. Cheers, Mark.

Unable to import AVCHD files into iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.