Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Pro Max Glass Break TWICE in TWO WEEKS

I have had apple products since the day the first iPod was released (iPhones, iPads, iMac, laptops). I bought Apple Care for each and every one. I have never had to use Apple Care for anything, until now. I have had the iPhone 11 Pro Max for less than two weeks and the screen has cracked on the sides twice. The phone is in a quality case and both times had a screen protector. I’ve already used one of my screen replacements with Apple care. I really don’t want to use the other one. It seems to me that this is a known issue and Apple should fix it.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 2:39 PM

Looks like either something hit the screen or the phone was dropped and the case didn’t protect it. Definitely not a “known” issue as far as iPhone 11 Pro Max screens cracking like that out of nowhere. Second one looks like it could just be the screen protector cracked since one edge is perfectly straight like that’s where the screen protector starts. If it is the screen then you will need to use your AppleCare to repair it again unless you want to pay out of pocket. Until/unless a recall is put out there for screens breaking like that spontaneously that’s really the only option you have unfortunately

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2019 2:39 PM in response to kallie Petdancer

Looks like either something hit the screen or the phone was dropped and the case didn’t protect it. Definitely not a “known” issue as far as iPhone 11 Pro Max screens cracking like that out of nowhere. Second one looks like it could just be the screen protector cracked since one edge is perfectly straight like that’s where the screen protector starts. If it is the screen then you will need to use your AppleCare to repair it again unless you want to pay out of pocket. Until/unless a recall is put out there for screens breaking like that spontaneously that’s really the only option you have unfortunately

Oct 26, 2019 10:32 AM in response to deggie

Thanks for the response. I did speak with I believe the third tier support at Apple Care yesterday and he said the issue was already being investigated. He set up an appointment at the Genius Bar for me to have them look at my phone. He will take that info and work it from there.

my phone is in a wallet case with a rubber number all around it. It is further protected by the leather case. Since the crack is in the upper left corner I have a hard time believing it would crack so easily.

I’ll work with Apple and see what happens.

Oct 26, 2019 11:19 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I agree that it didn't just crack without some kind of impact. I’m just saying that since I am sure I didn’t drop it on the ground (I would have freaked out right then and there and checked the screen), which would have likely cracked the screen in one or more places, then in my opinion the screen is not strong enough to withstand even the slightest impact. Since Apple is describing this phone with “The toughest glass in any smartphone”, perhaps it isn’t really that. It may also just be a batch with a flaw.

I know that Apple takes these issues seriously and will get to the bottom of the problem, if there is one.

Oct 26, 2019 11:37 AM in response to kallie Petdancer

I can safely say a splintered crack like that didn’t come from something insignificant but Apple will take a look and go from there. My son has a non wallet case on his phone and has dropped it more times than I can count...even some face down in the driveway drops. Not a scratch so far and no screen protector. Got him AppleCare though just in case but so far can safely say that his screen has taken a beating (nothing abnormal but realistic drops not hitting it with something or having something heavy drop on it) and the screen is still perfect.

iPhone 11 Pro Max Glass Break TWICE in TWO WEEKS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.