Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac heating up while on sleep mode

Just updated my iMac 27” (late 2013) to Catalina, but I’m noticing it gets hot while on sleep mode. Elio appreciate any help with this!

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 3:28 PM

Please reset the SMC several times with all external peripherals disconnected, including external HD's, scanners, printers, etc. that are connected via some type of cable. You can learn how to reset the SMC by clicking https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

8 replies

Oct 27, 2019 11:47 AM in response to CAST77

Please navigate to the Mac App Store or navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Oct 27, 2019 11:13 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your help so far rkaufmann87. Did it few times a couple of days ago but it still gets kind of hot on Sleep mode. Can’t think of why... it doesn’t get as hot as before but it still does. Called Apple phone support and they recommended to take it to a Genius Bar. It doesn’t really make sense to me since fans and the rest of the hardware works well while I’m using it. Would appreciate any further ideas if any...

Thanks you!

Oct 28, 2019 10:48 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Well I believe it can only take 8 more GBs of RAM. I back all the important files to iCloud since I only have 50 GB capacity on it and can't keep a lot of work files for security reasons. I'll make sure to get that additional RAM if it'll help with the Sleep mode heating, but I fail to see how it'll help with that. I guess I can also increase my iCloud capacity and set TimeMachine to use it as a back up for music, videos and other personal stuff if it's possible. I just don't see the point of having an external disk on the same place the primary computer is.

I'm not an expert but I see on the report that there are applications of 32 bits. I thought I had deleted all of those applications before switching to Catalina. Could that be the cause of the Sleep mode heating?

Thank you for your help on this issue!

iMac heating up while on sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.