Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod keeps losing Airplay functionality

I've had my HomePod for about a year, and love it. Unfortunately, over the last 6 weeks or so, it's begun to have issues with Airplay connectivity. It's connected to my network and the internet, and if I ask it to play music or whatever, it will. But when I try to play music from my iPhone or my MacBook Pro, it won't show up as an option. The only choice I have is to completely reset the HomePod. But after a few days -- this last time it's only been two days -- the Airplay option will disappear again. It's kind of maddening. Clearly, since it's an issue with both of my devices, it rests with the HomePod, not my phone.

Thanks for your thoughts!

HomePod, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 7:30 PM

Temporarily try changing airplay settings to “Everyone”

Change settings for HomePod - Apple Support

Other things to try can be:

• power cycling the HomePod by unplugging for a few seconds,
  • in the home app try signing out of iCloud/ Apple ID then sign back in
  • reboot your wifi router by unplugging for about 30 seconds.
  • Close the app you’re using to airplay from - How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201330
  • On your iOS devices in Settings- General - Reset - Reset Network Settings
  • Restart your iOS device  (until the Apple logo appears)

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2019 7:30 PM in response to Paulza

Temporarily try changing airplay settings to “Everyone”

Change settings for HomePod - Apple Support

Other things to try can be:

• power cycling the HomePod by unplugging for a few seconds,
  • in the home app try signing out of iCloud/ Apple ID then sign back in
  • reboot your wifi router by unplugging for about 30 seconds.
  • Close the app you’re using to airplay from - How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201330
  • On your iOS devices in Settings- General - Reset - Reset Network Settings
  • Restart your iOS device  (until the Apple logo appears)

Dec 13, 2019 10:37 AM in response to Paulza

Hi

I have a similar issue, airplay to a couple devices worked great for about a year, then in the last while (month or more) air play stops to home pod, mid song, it may start again, or may not until I check the minus box. Blue air play changes to Orange, If you hover over the home pod Icon, it says "lost connection", Pinging Home pod thru out this "lost connection" indicates good response times. I have replaced home pod, no change, tried creating another user on the MacBook Air, no change, re-configured my Airport extreme and express network, no change, All OS are up to date.

Dec 4, 2019 9:55 AM in response to Paulza

Identical issue. It happened after i updated software on Mac (to OS10.15.2) and HomePod v13.2.1.

What OS's are you using?

I also have a number of older Airplay-1 devices and I was wondering whether it's an issue between the older Airplay-1 standard and the newer Airplay-2.

Sadly, non of Vancouver22's kind suggestions has fixed this intermittent issue for me.

Dec 12, 2019 1:07 PM in response to Vancouver22

I've been having a similar issue between my Homepod and Apple TV. Unplugging the Homepod works, but it's becoming a pain having to unplug the silly thing every time I want to switch from Netflix to Hulu to Prime to Disney+ to Apple Music. There was a brief period of about a month where it seemed like everything was fixed, but roughly around the release of Disney+, handoff stopped working again (and Disney+ won't even let me watch two programs back to back without unplugging).

In fact, earlier this week, Disney+ paused midway through an episode of the Mandalorian, switched to TV audio from Homepod, and resumed. I would blame the app but when I check settings, the Apple TV no longer sees the Homepod. Homepod may or may not be visible in Airplay on my iPhone 11.

I work at an Apple Authorized Service Provider. I've been selling Apple and troubleshooting iOS and Mac OS for 3 years. I've restored my devices, unpaired and re-paired, updated, the works. This absolutely confounds me.

HomePod keeps losing Airplay functionality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.