Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot from External Harddrive iMac 27 inch Late 2013

Hi

Am I able to download an operating system to an external Hard drive?

Than can i use that as my main drive as my main hard drive has failed, without removing the failed hard drive?

Regards Glenys

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2019 8:52 PM

Yes, or even better is to create a bootable clone that updates daily using SuperDuper!. With SuperDuper! it will back up to an external HD at a time that you designate daily and only backup the changed files, then you can use the external HD as a boot drive if the internal drive fails.

Or if you want you can install Mac OS on a External Hard Disk and boot from it if your internal has already failed.

DO NOT buy a cheap External Hard Disk such as a WD or Seagate, what experienced users on these forums like to use are the OWC Mercury Elite Pros due to their high quality, reasonable cost, excellent service from OWC and when the HD fails (they all do) it's simple to install a new External Hard Disk in it which you cannot do on the garbage WDs or Seagates.

You can find these at: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-mercury-elite-pro/usb-3.1

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2019 8:52 PM in response to Glenys Anne

Yes, or even better is to create a bootable clone that updates daily using SuperDuper!. With SuperDuper! it will back up to an external HD at a time that you designate daily and only backup the changed files, then you can use the external HD as a boot drive if the internal drive fails.

Or if you want you can install Mac OS on a External Hard Disk and boot from it if your internal has already failed.

DO NOT buy a cheap External Hard Disk such as a WD or Seagate, what experienced users on these forums like to use are the OWC Mercury Elite Pros due to their high quality, reasonable cost, excellent service from OWC and when the HD fails (they all do) it's simple to install a new External Hard Disk in it which you cannot do on the garbage WDs or Seagates.

You can find these at: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-mercury-elite-pro/usb-3.1

Boot from External Harddrive iMac 27 inch Late 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.