Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Operating System Download

Is there a way to download an OS onto a disk or external drive to install on my other Mac. I recently purchased a new mac and attempted to erase info from my old mac. I did what was to be done, I think but I cannot get past the Disk Utility menu which has nothing in it at this time. Help.

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on May 20, 2020 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 11:58 AM

The latest version of Mac OS for a 2011 imac already is HS 10.13.6 so you have take it as far as it will go. If you need later versions of Mac OS then you need a new Mac. If you want to run an earlier version of Mac OS on the 20111, you will need restore from a Time Machine backup in order to do so.

So if you are having a problem with 10.13.6 what you should do is first ensure you have a fully working backup, either a Time Machine or bootable clone backup. Then you should restart in the Recovery Partition (hold down Command + R on startup) and then re-install Mac OS on the hard disk. This will not overwrite your data.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2020 11:58 AM in response to gilbertfromlandover

The latest version of Mac OS for a 2011 imac already is HS 10.13.6 so you have take it as far as it will go. If you need later versions of Mac OS then you need a new Mac. If you want to run an earlier version of Mac OS on the 20111, you will need restore from a Time Machine backup in order to do so.

So if you are having a problem with 10.13.6 what you should do is first ensure you have a fully working backup, either a Time Machine or bootable clone backup. Then you should restart in the Recovery Partition (hold down Command + R on startup) and then re-install Mac OS on the hard disk. This will not overwrite your data.

Operating System Download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.