Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Update Changed Media Creation Dates

Recently, iMovie converted my old non-64 bit media clips into a format that could be used with the new iMovie for Catalina. Unfortunately, all the newly converted clips in iMovie have a new Creation Date (which is the day of the conversion). Does anyone know a way to correct this?

I realize the original clips were placed in a iMovie Incompatible Media folder where the dates are still preserved, but the thought of changing a thousand file dates in iMovie is ridiculous.

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 9:36 AM

Hi, network,

I don't know of any easy way of correcting the creation date on large number of clips. Converting a clip creates a new clip with the creation date of the date of conversion. So there would be no previous creation date to which to revert. Maybe there is some software that can do that, but I am not familiar with any.

If you open iMovie you can select a range of clips in the media browser and then do a Modify/Adjust Clip Date and Time. You will get this box:

The box indicates that you can change the creation date of a range of clips by checking the box "change file creation dates as well". Of course this would only work with a range of clips that you know to have the same creation date, and would require that you know what the creation date is. It wouldn't be so bad with clips that you know bear a certain creation date, like birthday parties, or Christmas Day, or 10th Anniversary, or Superbowl Party, etc. Those could be changed in a batch. It's still a pain, I agree. But at least you might not have to change all of your converted clips one at a time.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2019 9:36 AM in response to network

Hi, network,

I don't know of any easy way of correcting the creation date on large number of clips. Converting a clip creates a new clip with the creation date of the date of conversion. So there would be no previous creation date to which to revert. Maybe there is some software that can do that, but I am not familiar with any.

If you open iMovie you can select a range of clips in the media browser and then do a Modify/Adjust Clip Date and Time. You will get this box:

The box indicates that you can change the creation date of a range of clips by checking the box "change file creation dates as well". Of course this would only work with a range of clips that you know to have the same creation date, and would require that you know what the creation date is. It wouldn't be so bad with clips that you know bear a certain creation date, like birthday parties, or Christmas Day, or 10th Anniversary, or Superbowl Party, etc. Those could be changed in a batch. It's still a pain, I agree. But at least you might not have to change all of your converted clips one at a time.

-- Rich

iMovie Update Changed Media Creation Dates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.