Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solving 2018 Mac Mini Clicks/Pops/Overloads on Low Buffer Size with Logic Pro X

I wanted to help people save time chasing down Logic Pro X crackling on their Mac Mini. I couldn't find much help so started this thread. After 2 weeks with 4 different systems (2 iMacs/2 Minis) running same Logic projects with same settings, Mac Mini is only one with low latency audio issues. Below is what I've tried. Anyone else getting their Mini to work in low latency on a 4k monitor? In the end, my 2013 iMac is better than the 2018 Mini in low latency. Here's what I tried:

• Experiment with different monitors and resolutions--I did not go down the path of buying/returning multiple higher rez/lower rez, monitors from various manufacturers (mine were Samsung). Using native rez on 4k was workable, but one core still spiked at times causing pops.
  • select only audio tracks (non-midi instrument) in playback (unsure how this will affect low latency recording)
  • wasted time adding eGPU thinking 4k monitor was the bottleneck (my RX560--sonnet puck breakaway box did not help)
  • not sure whether the T2 chip audio issues are REALLY solved--I think there's more here and it's showing up in low buffer modes. The 2019 iMacs do not have the T2 chip, and could explain why Mac Mini lagged in audio since the specs of both machines I tried were identical.

Anyone got any other tips to share on getting low latency (32) to work smooth on a mini? I'm likely going to take it back, but like the form factor.

Mac mini, 10.14

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 12:46 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 1, 2019 3:01 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks, I didn't mention that the Intel Power Gadget didn't show any throttling and temps were stable. I think you're right that signs point to T2, since low buffer sizes really overload one core. However, changing resolutions also would overload one core. Some others speculated that there could be a bunch of processes running only on a single core, Logic, T2, Display, etc. Sounds like some bad programming which Apple should correct. It doesn't matter if you have a quad-core, hexa-core, or octa-core system, the system is bottlenecked by the performance of a single core in this arrangement. That's why some with top spec i-7 mac minis have been complaining about it. See below for the visual of what happens. Who cares that there are six cores when they are all taking a nap!

Oct 27, 2019 11:12 AM in response to hcsitas

Yes, it could be. There were three big differences between the 2019 iMac & Mac Mini: graphics card, monitor, and T2. Otherwise, very similar. I eliminated the graphics card issue, but didn’t go down the road of switching up too many monitors. I did hook up the Mac mini to an old RCA 720p television through HDMI. I still had the same issues, surprisingly. That was my only other experiment with a different monitor.

cant disable T2 so didn’t go down that road at all.

Nov 1, 2019 9:53 AM in response to 3SQ

SO... solved this problem by returning the Mac Mini going with a 2019 iMac instead. I really wanted the Mac Mini to work, but whether it's T2, specific monitors, UHD 630, or a mix of all, it was just too troublesome for my audio workflow. The 2019 iMac has none of these issues and handles the workflow with ease (no clicks/pops without any workarounds). I can even scale to my preferred resolution without issue. Price for performance was actually slightly better with the iMac, if you rely solely on the 5K screen without an external monitor.

I can't rule out that trying a different monitor, different eGPU besides the RX 560, or just "accepting" the other workarounds with buffer size and/or playback track selection would have done the trick on the Mac Mini but these are too many variables and there is only so much time in a day (away from actual creation) to research/return equipment, try other setups, do stress testing, etc.

I'm actually surprised to run into such issues on the desktop that was, at first, my introduction to Macs back in 2008. The Mac Mini was a great little machine back then and it really kickstarted my creative flow and was even capable of producing my first album. I thought the 2018 would be the "right time" do jump back in to my preferred form factor, but it didn't work out this time. Maybe in its next iteration.

Nov 1, 2019 10:13 AM in response to 3SQ

Happy to hear. The iMac has all-Apple tech for display while the mini is dependent on externals, not just vendors but also competing standards, buggy implementations, dongles, cheapo cables etc. etc. No future iteration will resolve unless Apple make their own under $1,000 display, which they won’t since it would cannibalize the iMac. Enjoy...

Nov 1, 2019 11:51 AM in response to hcsitas

I doubt it was graphics caused altough it might be a minor contributor. The T2 chip is the most likely culprit, as is the the known CPU throttling problem. The T2 chip controls several Apple subsystems including audio.

In a small foot print device like the MINI I would bet a cpu monitor would have shown the cpu speed being reduced to reduce heat.

Nov 1, 2019 9:32 PM in response to Pancenter

Yes, but what was odd about this one core overload is that I tested the exact same (admittedly inefficient) project, same buffer settings, same track highlighted for playback on a 2019 i5 iMac (same processor as the Mini)--and heck even tried it on my 2013--and only the Mac Mini overloaded. It also gave "midi sync errors" I had never seen before--also strange since no midi device was even plugged in. Again, only the Mini. Happened on two different ones I tried. Bizarre.

I'm sure I could have fiddled with settings and made the project more "efficient" to take advantage of multithreading, but then I wouldn't have seen its limits. The Mac Mini, for at least some projects, was much less capable than my supposedly dated 2013.

Anyway, too many variables to figure out. If I kept it, I'd probably still be tinkering to minimize clicks and pops and trying to accept more latency.

Solving 2018 Mac Mini Clicks/Pops/Overloads on Low Buffer Size with Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.