Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio out on MacMini late 2012 through minidp - dp

I have purchased an ultra wide 3440x1440 display and connected my MacMini using a minidisplayport to DisplayPort adapter to take advantage of the full resolution of the display. However I'm unable to get audio any audio out, looking in the audio preferences tab I see only the internal speakers as selectable audio out...

If I connect the mac through hdmi I can select the monitor as audio output and it works but resolution is 1080p only with really bad visuals as you can imagine.

Is there something that I'm missing?

I've already tried smc and nvram reset with no success.

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 8:07 AM

The 2012 Mac Mini's Mini DisplayPort does not support audio output. You will need to use a 3.5mm male to male audio cable between the Mac Mini's Headphone jack and the Monitor's Audio input jack.

for example > https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Stereo-Audio-Cable-Meters/dp/B00NO73IN2?

Similar questions

8 replies

Audio out on MacMini late 2012 through minidp - dp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.