Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Createinstallmedia fails with updated Sierra installer - "not a valid volume mount point"

The newly released Sierra installer (now with updated certificate for installations post-October 23rd) doesn't play nicely with the createinstallmedia command. Instead, the Terminal returns:

/Volumes/osx is not a valid volume mount point.

Yes; I've named my flash drive "osx". Even tried other names just in case Apple now won't let me use that volume name. No good. Tried this on both a Mojave Mac and a Sierra Mac. createinstallmedia is fubar'd in the Sierra installer.

I tried createinstallmedia with the newly updated High Sierra and Mojave installers. No problems there.

If anyone has found a work-around, please advise. For now, I'm just changing the date (back to 2018) on the Mac needing a Sierra install, using the older (expired) installer and keeping the Mac off the Internet until the installation is complete.

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 11:15 AM

We've had a long discussion about this issue at macintouch.com, as well. The workarounds are:

1. Create the flash drive installer as I did (above) and then copy the installer to that drive. Subsequent installation from that drive will work.
  2. Boot from your old (pre-Oct24th) installer drive, confirm WiFi is off, change the date in Terminal to pre-Oct24th, and then install.

Who'd have thought that "Apple Quality Control" would elicit the same laughs as "Military Intelligence"?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2019 11:15 AM in response to RadioGuyTn

We've had a long discussion about this issue at macintouch.com, as well. The workarounds are:

1. Create the flash drive installer as I did (above) and then copy the installer to that drive. Subsequent installation from that drive will work.
  2. Boot from your old (pre-Oct24th) installer drive, confirm WiFi is off, change the date in Terminal to pre-Oct24th, and then install.

Who'd have thought that "Apple Quality Control" would elicit the same laughs as "Military Intelligence"?

Oct 26, 2019 1:25 PM in response to HWTech

Tried it both with and without. Without doesn't even begin to work. With just yields the "/Volumes/osx is not a valid volume mount point."

I even tried other drive names just in case there's something now "reserved" about osx or maybe that's no too few characters. Nothing worked.

The actual installer does work (with a post-Oct. 24th date on my Mac) so I'm temporarily just installing Sierra to my "recovery" flash drive and then simply copying in the Sierra installer so I can boot from it and then install Sierra to the hard drive in the Mac into which I've plugged the flash drive. It's a kludge but it works until Apple can resolve the issue with a new installer (or some sort of hack to the createinstallmedia code for this new Sierra installer).

Oct 27, 2019 5:53 AM in response to Barry Levine

I downloaded high Sierra and Mojave after 10/24 and they both work to install and make a bootable media using Apple's create install media script.

Sierra fails at createinstallmedia script. Although the installer does work. To prove out the failure I successfully completed the Apple createinstallmedia script with the older non functioning Sierra file prior to 10/24 So there is a problem only with the Sierra 'new' file.

Non of the suggestions mentioned here will solve the issue. I've tried them all and then some...

Lastly I also tried Yosemite , the older file previous to 10/24 and it does work. Don't know why but I'll accept it....

Createinstallmedia fails with updated Sierra installer - "not a valid volume mount point"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.