Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos App on my Mojave 10.14 crashes during importing of Aperture Library v3.6

I have 29K photos in my Aperture Library and now that Catalina will not support Aperture, I am trying to migrate to Photos App before I install the new OS. I have followed the process prescribed by Apple - converting to full size previews. After 4% importing mark after I launched Photos app while holding down the "Option" key and selecting the Aperture library, the Photos App quits. I have run "Repair Database" on Aperture library and tried again and Photos keeps quitting at the same mark of 4%.

I had already removed all the video files from the Aperture library and the size of the library is 163GB.

My iMac is Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB running macOS Mojave v10.14. My Aperture library is on an external drive (Lacie 4TB drive).

Appreciate any pointers to a solution. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 2:51 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 1, 2019 7:23 AM in response to new2appletv

Hi new2appletv,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you are having issues migrating your Aperture library to the Photos app. I'd like to help get you to the best place for assistance.

There is an article with information which may help: Migrate your Aperture library to the Photos app or Adobe Lightroom Classic

For additional help, contact the Photos experts at Apple Support

Select Mac > Mac apps > Photos > Migrating iPhoto or Aperture library to Photos.

Take care!

Nov 4, 2019 9:11 AM in response to new2appletv

My issue has been RESOLVED!!!

I am posting the solution in case someone had a similar environment and issue.

I setup a tech support call with the Pro Apps team and Gabriel from the team was amazing, helpful and above all patient. He didn't just suggest a solution and drop off. He stayed with me on the phone for two hours until we hit a dead end. At that point, I went and purchased a USB 3.0 Lacie mobile drive to continue with further experiments. Here is the description of the steps:

My environment: I keep my data including the Aperture library on an external Lacie drive (8TB RAID-1 config resulting in 4TB usable storage). I use Superduper 3.2.5 to clone/smartupdate my internal drive as well as data drive to other external drives. For some reasons, I had configured my external drive in "case sensitive" manner.

Solution:

1. Per Grabriel, I should repair permissions on my Aperture Library and it is done by copying the file to the internal drive of the Mac. But, that kept failing with an error indicating the "case sensitive" feature of the external Aperture library was causing error with the "non-case sensitive" nature of the Mac OS drive.
  2. We tried copying the library to another drive that was formatted in ExFAT format, but that was extremely slow as it was a slow USB 2.0 interface and very old drive.
  3. With the newly purchased 4TB Lacie mobile drive with USB 3.0, formatted in either "non-case sensitive" or ExFAT, it failed with the same error.
  4. At this point I formatted the new drive in "non-case sensitive" option and then used Superduper to copy the Aperture library to the new drive. It went thru without any problem.
  5. Now I copied the file from the new Lacie drive to the "picture" folder of the Mac (internal drive).
  6. Fixed the permissions on the entire internal drive.
  7. Used the Aperture's tool to Repair Permission, Repair Database and Rebuilt Database - in that sequence.
  8. Copied the repaired library back to the new Lacie drive.
  9. Launched Photos App while keeping the "Option" key pressed. Selected the Aperture library from the new Lacie drive.
  10. Photos took 3 hours to import the library successfully! All my smart albums and tags are still there!!! Goodbye Aperture!

I am adding the links below that Gabriel provided, which I used in my steps.

Resolve issues caused by changing

the permissions of items in your home folder

Get help with Aperture 3

Photos App on my Mojave 10.14 crashes during importing of Aperture Library v3.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.