Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot reinstall macOS on Macbook

Good evening,

I've been having a little trouble getting my brother's macbook working again. He hasn't used the thing in a year or so, and tried to boot it up today only for it to get to the loading bar and stop at 100%. We then entered recovery mode, erased + formatted the drive, and attempted to reinstall macOS to the Macbook. However, when attempting to do so, we are unable to select the disk that we want to install macOS to when the disk is formatted to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", however, when the disk is formatted to APFS, we can get through with the installation right until the end, where we receive the error "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install." We were wondering if anybody had any advice for our issue at hand. Any additional information can be provided. Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/pYtxkja

MacBook

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 11:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 1:45 AM

Question for you, when erasing and re-formatting the drive, are you selecting the preexisting partition or the actual drive which is first is the hierarchy?

Just to make things even clearer. If you haven't already done this, try selecting the drive the red arrow in the picture below is pointing to and erasing/re-formatting it in the file system of your choice:

Then try the installation again.

I hope this helps, and my apologies in advanced if this is what you've been doing, or have already tried.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2019 1:45 AM in response to MattieK9998

Question for you, when erasing and re-formatting the drive, are you selecting the preexisting partition or the actual drive which is first is the hierarchy?

Just to make things even clearer. If you haven't already done this, try selecting the drive the red arrow in the picture below is pointing to and erasing/re-formatting it in the file system of your choice:

Then try the installation again.

I hope this helps, and my apologies in advanced if this is what you've been doing, or have already tried.

Cannot reinstall macOS on Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.