Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Steps to move home user folder from one external drive to another external drive?

What are the steps to move home user folder from one external drive to another external drive?

Current setup is late 2015 iMac running macOS Catalina with home folder on an external drive. Bought a new external drive and want to transfer home user folder from old external drive to new external drive.

1. Suggestions to make exact copy of old drive on new drive.
  2. How to make sure iMac uses only new external drive where home user folder is now located.

Thanks for your input.

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 9:50 AM

When Carbon Copy Cloner finishes, will it rename the new drive or will I need to change it manually?

You'll have to rename it manually.

do I need to go into System Preferences and change the location for the home user folder to the new drive?

I don't know. Never tired to move the home folder.

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 28, 2019 4:53 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the information. I do have a couple of follow up questions. When Carbon Copy Cloner finishes, will it rename the new drive or will I need to change it manually? And, do I need to go into System Preferences and change the location for the home user folder to the new drive? And is this all done before the shutdown and right after CCC ends? Thanks again.

Steps to move home user folder from one external drive to another external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.