Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

move users folder to another drive

I would like to move my users folder from the internal SSD to another drive while keeping the rest of the system on the SSD. Is this even possible?

The system I am using is High Sierra.

Would an alias, or a symlink work?

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 6:45 AM

Keep in mind doing this is risky especially if the external drive does not go ready in time. You definitely want to keep another macOS admin user account on the internal boot drive so if this happens you will still be able to boot the Mac successfully. Also, keep in mind if you ever plan to upgrade to macOS Monterey with this Mac, then currently Apple has broken booting a Mac with an a user account located on an external drive. If you are only going to be staying with High Sierra, then you only have to deal with my first caution regarding having to boot to the internal user account first.

See this thread regarding external user accounts and Monterey:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254143123?answerId=257877996022#257877996022

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2022 6:45 AM in response to kennettsargent

Keep in mind doing this is risky especially if the external drive does not go ready in time. You definitely want to keep another macOS admin user account on the internal boot drive so if this happens you will still be able to boot the Mac successfully. Also, keep in mind if you ever plan to upgrade to macOS Monterey with this Mac, then currently Apple has broken booting a Mac with an a user account located on an external drive. If you are only going to be staying with High Sierra, then you only have to deal with my first caution regarding having to boot to the internal user account first.

See this thread regarding external user accounts and Monterey:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254143123?answerId=257877996022#257877996022

move users folder to another drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.