Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound output automatically changing from bluetooth headphones to internal speakers

I recently updated my Mac software to macOS Catalina, and I instantly started experiencing issues with my bluetooth headphones.

My Bose QC35ii's will be connected and playing audio from my Mac, and then suddenly the sound output changes from my headphones to internal speakers.

My headphones are still connected via bluetooth, and I have tried to change the sound output back to my headphones, but nothing happens?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 6:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 2:43 AM

OK, I am getting this same issue again. See below:

As the above screenshot should show is that my BT head phone is actually active, but it isn't being accepted as the active output device even though I've selected it in Systems Preferences -> Sound. If I disconnect the BT head phone from BT and reconnect then it does become active. Is this related to other reports I've seen of BT and WiFI issues?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2019 2:43 AM in response to d_t_d_t

OK, I am getting this same issue again. See below:

As the above screenshot should show is that my BT head phone is actually active, but it isn't being accepted as the active output device even though I've selected it in Systems Preferences -> Sound. If I disconnect the BT head phone from BT and reconnect then it does become active. Is this related to other reports I've seen of BT and WiFI issues?

Nov 23, 2019 4:23 AM in response to ksaro1

I've accidentally found a solution to this issue. At least for me....

I downloaded and installed https://mac.softpedia.com/get/Audio/Background-Music.shtml.

I get the following on my menu when I run this app ...

And when I check the Audio control menu I now see

By selecting this second Sound Blaster Jam Input, this then remains active constantly. No more dropping of the BT connection.

Sound output automatically changing from bluetooth headphones to internal speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.