Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Bluetooth audio problem

I have a 2017 Macbook Pro currently running MacOS Catalina version 10.15.3

It used to be working OK with my Samsung sound bar M360 and my Bose wireless headset, I think probably since i upgraded to Catalina the problem started.

On Bluetooth it can connect to those devices, however in the sound preference, those devices are neither not able to be selected or even not there on the list for audio.

I contacted Apple support, and tried several ways that they've suggested like resetting the PRAM/NVRAM, and many other ways, I worked for sometimes then not working again. I even did a fresh install on the MacOS (that was terrible as i have TBs of photos in external drive which took me weeks to re-index), but it worked for a couple weeks and the problem comes back.

One thing that I notice is that when i boot my Macbook Pro as Safe Mode, the bluetooth audio works, but when restarted it back to normal mode, it doesn't

Any help would be highly appreciated!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 8:09 PM

lit2fat wrote:

Samsung sound bar M360 and my Bose wireless headset

On Bluetooth it can connect to those devices, however in the sound

suggested like resetting the PRAM/NVRAM, and many other ways,

Many others like what ?— lets not play a game of Whack-O-Mole here.

From the Bluetooth icon in the upper right menu bar hold the Shift Option Keys

and click open>Debug>Remove All Devices and Reset All Devices and Reset the BlueTooth Module

How to reset the SMC of your Mac – Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2020 8:09 PM in response to lit2fat

lit2fat wrote:

Samsung sound bar M360 and my Bose wireless headset

On Bluetooth it can connect to those devices, however in the sound

suggested like resetting the PRAM/NVRAM, and many other ways,

Many others like what ?— lets not play a game of Whack-O-Mole here.

From the Bluetooth icon in the upper right menu bar hold the Shift Option Keys

and click open>Debug>Remove All Devices and Reset All Devices and Reset the BlueTooth Module

How to reset the SMC of your Mac – Apple Support

Feb 21, 2020 9:48 PM in response to lit2fat

To trouble shoot further you can:

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc.  Login and test. Reboot and test will take a little longer as caches get rebuilt.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Feb 21, 2020 8:26 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi leroydouglas, it works! Thanks!

I've done the below:

1)From the Bluetooth icon in the upper right menu bar hold the Shift Option Keys

2) reset the SMC

You're awesome! I've just wonder why Apple Support is not giving me this recommendation...

Feb 21, 2020 8:48 PM in response to lit2fat

lit2fat wrote:

Hi leroydouglas, it works! Thanks!

I've done the below:

1)From the Bluetooth icon in the upper right menu bar hold the Shift Option Keys

2) reset the SMC

You're awesome! I've just wonder why Apple Support is not giving me this recommendation...

Good computing lit2fat ! Thanks for using the ASC, come back anytime, issues or otherwise.

Feb 21, 2020 9:41 PM in response to leroydouglas

Oh.. I works for a while, but all the sudden i found that the sounds are starting to be intermittent.. Then i restarted again and the problem comes back. Then I tried the Debug > remove all devices and reset module, and done a SMC reset.. but seems this method is not working anymore.

I'm not sure if i have any software crashing with the bluetooth and sound module..

Feb 21, 2020 10:49 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi leroydouglas,

I've gone in to mac recovery mode by restarting and holding command-R. Then run first aids across all the volumes, then restarted the Mac, it works. But after that i think normal restarted it, it's not working again. If i repeat the process if works again... Seem like if only works if everytime i restarted by Macbook in recovery mode and run first aid in disk utility..

I tried login as a guest and the problem is the same, looks like it's a universal problem.

Macbook Bluetooth audio problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.