Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone photos unopenable on Mac

I purchased a Iphone X several months ago; photos I take on it appear in photos on my mac, but only as thumbnails. When I click to open them I get an exclamation point inside of a triangle. Currently running updated ios on both devices. Any advice? I would like to be able to edit on the Mac.

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 11:28 AM

MichaelEye wrote:
... Currently running updated ios on both devices. ...

Which system versions are you using? Please post the version numbers. "updated" is a bit ambiguous. Your profile signature is showing "iMac, macOS 10.12".

if your Mac should be running macOS 10.12 Sierra, it would not be able to handle your iPhone photos, if the iPhone is using the High Efficiency format for the photos and videos. You would need to upgrade the Mac to macOS 10.13 or newer, or change the settings on gthe iPhone, so your photos will be saved in a more compatible format.

See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022#working

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2019 11:28 AM in response to MichaelEye

MichaelEye wrote:
... Currently running updated ios on both devices. ...

Which system versions are you using? Please post the version numbers. "updated" is a bit ambiguous. Your profile signature is showing "iMac, macOS 10.12".

if your Mac should be running macOS 10.12 Sierra, it would not be able to handle your iPhone photos, if the iPhone is using the High Efficiency format for the photos and videos. You would need to upgrade the Mac to macOS 10.13 or newer, or change the settings on gthe iPhone, so your photos will be saved in a more compatible format.

See: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022#working

Iphone photos unopenable on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.