Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone error message "cannot verify server identity"--how to fix this?

I keep getting this message when I am out away from wifi using my iPhone. I get a similar message about gmail and imaps. I have already deleted my yahoo and gmail accounts and re installed them and this did not fix the issue. What can I do?

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 6:55 PM

Hello victoria2800,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with an alert about the server identity. Thanks for also providing the screenshot.

The server is trying to access apple.imap.mail.yahoo.com. Possibly some account on your device is trying to access this incorrect server location, which is providing the alert.

You can check in Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Check each account, as the server info can be in any one of them.

If this is your iCloud account, choose iCloud. Scroll down to ADVANCED > tap Mail > check your SMTP servers.

You may need to delete any server showing apple.imap.mail.yachoo.com and enter the correct server address for the Yahoo servers: IMAP server settings for Yahoo Mail

For incoming servers: imap.mail.yahoo.com

For outgoing servers: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2019 6:55 PM in response to victoria2800

Hello victoria2800,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with an alert about the server identity. Thanks for also providing the screenshot.

The server is trying to access apple.imap.mail.yahoo.com. Possibly some account on your device is trying to access this incorrect server location, which is providing the alert.

You can check in Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Check each account, as the server info can be in any one of them.

If this is your iCloud account, choose iCloud. Scroll down to ADVANCED > tap Mail > check your SMTP servers.

You may need to delete any server showing apple.imap.mail.yachoo.com and enter the correct server address for the Yahoo servers: IMAP server settings for Yahoo Mail

For incoming servers: imap.mail.yahoo.com

For outgoing servers: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

iPhone error message "cannot verify server identity"--how to fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.